Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunto Kanji Translation

Hello,

I am trying to help a friend of the family who has recently inherited a Japanese Katana, in Shin Gunto mounts.

I have carefully removed the menuki peg, to reveal the nakago, which is signed. I am now out of my depth, and am hopeful that somebody here may be able to offer a translation.

If my pictures are not good enough, or other details are required, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Wingate

My apologies, It seems I cannot upload images. I am not a "new" member, but I have not posted many times. Would it be easier to host the photos?

Comment

Sword

First of all check the size of the photo I tend to stick to 600 x size as large once often will not load. Take the photo with the tip of the sword pointing to the top of the photo so its easy to read. If you are still having trouble, send them to me Texasbadger@sbcglobal.net and Ill put them up for you

Comment

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your response. I don't seem to have the option for attaching photos, I don't know if it because I haven't reached a certain number of posts yet?

I have sent you an email with the images.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Wingate

Comment

PS,

The blade looks to be in relatively good condition, but it is covered in old dried grease. What would be the best method to remove this? I would guess a very clean soft cloth, and some pure alcohol?

There is a visible kissaki and hamon, despite the muck and dirt.

All suggestions welcome!

Comment

Have you clicked on the “go advanced” button? That’s where the buttons are for photo upload.

Comment

Hello Bruce,

Many thanks for your reply. I don't seem to have a "Go Advanced" button. Where is it located on your display?

Many thanks,

Wingate

Comment

Photos

Posting for Wingate, WWII Seki blade
                Attached Files

Comment

[関] 濃州住森兼治作
                  [Seki] Noshū jū Mori Kaneharu saku
                  Made by Mori Kaneharu, Resident of Noshu (Gifu Pref)

Civilian name:
                  森 良太郎
                  Mori Ryotaro
                  p. 126, #4 from the top. This is the German translation, but easy enough to read.

--Guy

Comment

Many thanks to Steve for taking the time to post my pictures for me.

Many thanks also to Guy, for the extremely speedy translation.

From my limited understanding, were these blade made by traditional smiths under contract to the government, and then finished in a more factory type manner to save time?

In one of the links there is a "Hawley" rating of 8 for the smith. Is this a ranking table for smiths in general? And does what does that signify for Kaneharu?

Finally, is there any way to precisely date the sword, or post 1942 is the closest we can get (because of the presence of the Seki stamp)?

Thanks again for all the help, it is very much appreciated.

Wingate

Comment

Originally posted by Wingate View Post
                      Hello Bruce,

Many thanks for your reply. I don't seem to have a "Go Advanced" button. Where is it located on your display?

Many thanks,

Wingate
                      I wrote that on my phone, but now I'm on my tablet, and I don't have that button, so there's obviously a difference between "mobile" and "desktop" versions. Here's a picture of what I'm looking at now. Below the "reply" window, under "Additional Options" is a "Manage Attachments" button. Click that and you get a new page with 4 "choose file" buttons. Clicking those gives you the ability to Browse for photos.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Bruce,

Many thanks indeed for that. What you show is what I have on most other forums that I am a member of...

However, I don't have a "Manage Attachments" option as you show on my "Reply to thread" screen.

As I say, i didn't know if I was limited in what I could post attachment-wise due to my low post count? I've had a look at the forum guidelines and FAQ's but cannot seem to find an answer.

Thanks again to you, and Steve and Guy, for your kind assistance.

Wingate

Comment

Low post count should not be the problem but my understanding is you must have Association membership to post. Maybe I'm incorrect?

Regards,
                          Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                            Low post count should not be the problem but my understanding is you must have Association membership to post. Maybe I'm incorrect?

Regards,
                            Stu
                            Stu, I think that’s the key.

Comment

Thanks Gents,

I was beginning to think it was personal!

How does one become an "associate member"?

Wingate

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X