Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a photo of a Maru class merchant vessel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a photo of a Maru class merchant vessel?

Hello all I have a photo in my colllection that may be a Maru class merchant ship. Any ideas would be helpful.. thanks! Mike
    Attached Files

Hi Mike!

Well, I spent a little time in two books that cover the ships sunk during the Caroline Island campaigns (Truk and Palau), but didn't find this exact photo to give you a 100% id on the ship.

You do understand that "Maru" roughly translates to "auxiliary" or non-combatant type ship in Japanese and not a "class" per se, don't you? There are several types of "Maru's" and looking at some line drawings and silhouettes in these books, the closest I could come is that the ship pictured is probably what's called a modern combined passenger and cargo transport.

This is based on the motor ship type funnel, cruiser spoon stern and straight raked bow (though it could also be a clipper bow). It's really hard to tell from the angle of the ship in the photo to be sure. Based on the position and number of masts and derricks, it could possibly be "similar" to "Goshu Maru" types. Really hard to be positive here as these ships were often refitted and had configuration changes made that would change the mast arrangements, gun emplacements, etc. as the war started and progressed.
    Tim

Comment

Also, the Japanese used a lot of captured British ships captured at Hong Kong, Singapore etc.

Comment

Thanks guys, I knew that the "maru" was a designation for non combatant vessels and it encompassed a variety of vessels. I guess my question should have been more specefic. What I was curious about wether or not this vessel may have been Japanese. I can't find a ships name under magnification and it does appear that the bow looks damaged, at least to my eye. Thanks again!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X