Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translation of Japanese photo

Hello All,

I found this photo along with another one in a scrapbook of a U.S. sailor and was hoping to get a simple translation of it to let the daughter know (whos well into her 70s) what it says. It was her dad, who apprently had brought it back as a war souvenir. This is the only photo with writing on the back so any help is appreciated by me and the daughter. I didnt think of taking a picture of the front.

Many thanks and regards

Brayden

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Hi Brayden,

There are some unclear kanji.

Far left, in pencil:

(Dawn/Daybreak; cf: 夜明けの明星 "Morning Star")
    I'm guessing at that pink kanji -- it ends with a "moon" radical and the only kanji I can find, paired with the , is this. Too bad the rest of the inscription is covered up.

Shōsei
    Elementary School Student
    Taking a guess at this since the top is covered.
    What is the subject of the photo??

等科卒業
    Senior High School Graduation
    [Literally, advanced course.]

記念寫眞
    Commemorative Photograph
    (old kanji; new kanji for photograph is 写真)

NB:

等科卒業 This kanji is very "fluid", so I'm guessing it is and means high. There was also an elementary/primary school system called 初等科.

From Wiki: "...Higher education is the name of the course in which the content to be learned is "higher" in the school system[; this system was used] before the surrender of the Second World War."

--Guy

Comment

Hmm very interesting, the photo is that of a young man/boy, in robes? Something similar to what you would see a monk wear almost. Possibly a school photo so this would make sense with your reading of the kanji the other photo is that of a woman holding her baby in robes I believe as well. If I happen to get over there today I'll try to get some more photos

Thanks and regards

Brayden

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X