Japanese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese

Hi Guys, here is an interesting Katana that is in rough shape. Would this be something that could or should be cleaned by an expert?
    Attached Files

Interesting Japanese Katana

...and I meant the blade specifically. If so, any ideas who could do it? Thanks!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Sword

Need more photos of blade for damage and possible flaws. But I would start by wiping the blade down with denatured alcohol and a soft cloth, alot of that stuff will probably come off doing that. Then you can see under the grime! Wipe the tang down but do not aggressively clean it. How long is the blade from the tip to the notch in spine where the habaki stops just forward of the tsuba?

Comment

Tang:
        播州住藤原勝氏
        Banshū jū Fujiwara Katsu'uji
        Banshū [Harima] Resident Fujiwara Katsu'uji

7th smith listed from the bottom on p. 212 -- Kanbun era (1661-1673), worked in Harima (aka Banshū) Prefecture and Ōsaka.
        Katsuuji
        ===========

Koiguchi:
        堅直随 (花押)
        Hamagata Naozui (kao)
        [new research results: Hamano Naoyuki]

I found mention of him on a Japanese auction site, but no kana-reading of how to pronounce it -- so I'm taking my own *guess* at his name. And the obsolete kanji is used ... I could only get results when I replaced it with . The auction site stated the piece was from the end of the Edo period.

That bit within the parentheses is called a "kao" and is a type of personal signature.

========
        Is this the same sword? It has the same signature (but rustier tang) and the koiguchi looks to be the same:
        https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us
        Attached Files
        Last edited by GHP; 08-07-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I found better results while clicking on a result using modern kanji: 浜野直随

His name is given as
          浜野直随
          Hamano Naoyuki

All these kanji are pronounced "hama" and all mean beach; seacoast; seashore:
          浜, 濵, 濱

For comparison -- old/new:
          堅直随
          浜野直随
          Using the modern kanji I did a google search and got LOTS of results. Many write-ups use 浜野直随 but if you look at the actual carved signatures, you'll see 濵堅直随.

See p. p. 155 for Hamano Naoyuki's history.

--Guy
          Last edited by GHP; 08-07-2018, 11:02 AM.

Comment

If it were mine, and free of fatal flaws, I'd contact Moses Becerra in Miami for an appraisal. He's a Japanese trained polisher on par with Robert Benson in Hawaii. Given your stated location Moses would be easier to deal with. Here is a link to his web site. I've had several swords polished by Moses. Each was a thing of beauty when finished and he's trustworthy and honest.

https://nihontoantiques.com/

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
              ... he's trustworthy and honest.

AND -- Moses studies Toyama Ryu iaido & kendo.

--Guy
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the great info! Much appreciated!!

Comment

Just a cautionary recommendation ..I would avoid snapping the retention strap as they are quite fragile and easily torn!!

Regards,Geoff

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X