Katana for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana for review

This is another of the group of swords my friend is looking at buying. Most are junk, but I thought that this one had some possibilities. What say you? As always, I thank you for your observations, and time.

Gary
    Attached Files

more of the blade
    Originally posted by Gary Cain View Post
    This is another of the group of swords my friend is looking at buying. Most are junk, but I thought that this one had some possibilities. What say you? As always, I thank you for your observations, and time.

Gary
    Attached Files

Comment

I think this is a WW2 gunto blade.

Comment

Wouldn't there be military marks on it in that case?
        Originally posted by oldhonda View Post
        I think this is a WW2 gunto blade.

Comment

No, that is a misconception.

A Japanese blade is not a Damascus blade. If it turned out like one, it's a failure. The smith would be ashamed, and refuse to sign the work. I'm afraid that is what we're seeing here.
          Last edited by oldhonda; 08-02-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Do you have pictures that show the hamon - edge hardening? I don't see any hamon. This is a weird blade. I don't like it. Nevertheless, I don't believe it's a fake, either.

Comment

Concerning geimei, unsigned blades- the practice is quite common, even in ancient blades. When a smith was under pressure to crank out a bunch of blades in a short period of time, the blades were often not signed (I have a late koto blade like this), and many WWII blades are not signed.

As to the unusual "hamon"? pattern - I have seen 1 other like this, and it was presented as a "normal" blade (I wish I could remember who owned it, but I remember it was someone expertienced). I personnally don't know what this pattern means. To me, it looks like it was chemically added, and doesn't seem to follow the grain in the steel.

I agree they are uncommon, though, but not fake.

Comment

No, that's one of the issues I have with this one. There is no defined hamon. You can see where it is, but the polishing that was done to it washed it out. Here are pictures from the opposite side of the blade showing a kizu or two.

Do you have pictures that show the hamon - edge hardening? I don't see any hamon. This is a weird blade. I don't like it. Nevertheless, I don't believe it's a fake, either.
                Attached Files

Comment

Bruce, what you described is called hada.

==============

One of the distinctive characteristics of the Japanese sword is the hamon. Take that away, it's no more Japanese sword, or at best, a failed attempt at the Japanese sword.

If you collect oddities, this maybe your candidate. Otherwise, stay away from this sword.

==============

You may want to re-evaluate your buying source. That source turned out some low quality and odd swords.
                  Last edited by oldhonda; 08-03-2018, 04:16 AM.

Comment

I'm not buying them. A friend of min wants to so is bringing them to me to look at. As I have said, the overwhelming majority are absolute junk, but there are a few that I figured might be worth looking at.

There are a couple of more that I will be posting in the next few days as i get through them.
                    Bruce, what you described is called hada.

==============

One of the distinctive characteristics of the Japanese sword is the hamon. Take that away, it's no more Japanese sword, or at best, a failed attempt at the Japanese sword.

If you collect oddities, this maybe your candidate. Otherwise, stay away from this sword.

==============

You may want to re-evaluate your buying source. That source turned out some low quality and odd swords.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X