Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symbol on japanese arisaka blade

Hello,

Does anyone know what the symbol mean under the logo of the arsenal? I do not normally see it on the blades of other arisaka bayonets.

Thanks.

I looked around google images and found a similar marking. Yours might be slightly double-stamped? I'm no expert!

The image below shows the kanji "kan" meaning government/bureaucracy

--Guy
    Attached Files

Comment

Guy,

Do you think this one is similar, just poorly struck, or is it something else you might recognize?

It's on a Kyu-gunto, posted on NMB.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your help GHP.
        I would have liked to know why this kanji is affixed on some bayonets and not the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Remka View Post
          Thank you for your help GHP.
          I would have liked to know why this kanji is affixed on some bayonets and not the others.
          We'll have to wait for a bayonet "guru" to answer your question.
          Found another one here (image below). No web page or further description of the mark. It looks like yours -- I now do not think yours is double-stamped: note the sameness of that top portion. Perhaps a modification of the kanji ?

In looking through the various "parts" of the kanji (the top portion + bottom portion] I found three kanji that have that lower box section with the connecting line along the left:

- government/bureaucracy
          - sedge, a type of grass
          - drunken talk; pipe; tube; wind instrument

But I sure don't know! That kanji could also be a company "trademark" that artistically morphs or resembles 官.

-- Guy
          Attached Files

Comment

This is one of several types of blade inspection marks found on Tokyo Bayonets. I don't know if it has been identified beyond that.

Comment

Guy, forgive me for "borrowing" this thread, but did you see my post (#3) about another mystery stamp on a Kyugunto?

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                Guy, forgive me for "borrowing" this thread, but did you see my post (#3) about another mystery stamp on a Kyugunto?

Sorry -- yes, I saw it but couldn't make heads of tails of it. It looked like a crescent moon with three lines emanating from the concave side. ... or kinda like the Euro symbol €

--Guy

Comment

Thanks Guy. Must be an old manufacturer’s mark. I didn’t think it was a recognizable kanji, but if anyone could make it out at all, it would be you.

Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you very much for these translations Guy, and thank you very much zachb for informing me about this marking.

Best regards.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X