X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junk or not swords

Believe it to be modern made blade many thanks tom
    Attached Files

That's a Chinese made sword blade. I can't tell you about the toughness of the steel. However, it looks pretty good in the pictures. Only the user who can test its potential by cutting various objects from newspaper bundles to water bottles.

Comment

Many thank for reply
      I have a friend that wants to make it into bone handle knife he'll be happy with it thanks again tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tommac View Post
        I have a friend that wants to make it into bone handle knife
        I don't think it's a good idea. By making a knife, he'll cut down this long blade. What a waste!

Also, is the steel hard enough for a knife? The steel used for sword is not ideal for knives, due to different use cases. Does this blade have a lot of flex if you bend it?

Comment

That's a nice display katana ...i would leave it as it is..

Comment

I bought this sword and another turd for 50 bucks at fleamarket so no real need for them if not ww2 to me no real loss I'm going to keep the storage mounts. Many thank for replys tom will try to load other pic of other sword

Comment

Originally posted by Tommac View Post
              I bought this sword and another turd for 50 bucks at fleamarket so no real need for them if not ww2 to me no real loss I'm going to keep the storage mounts. Many thank for replys tom will try to load other pic of other sword
              FYI, "storage mounts" (shirasaya) are custom made to fit each blade. Not usually transferable to other blades.

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                FYI, "storage mounts" (shirasaya) are custom made to fit each blade. Not usually transferable to other blades.
                And .... the pictured "shirasaya" ... ain't (it's more of a "chairo-saya" -- brown saya ). Dunno what wood it is made from, but it is not honoki [Japanese magnolia]; honoki keeps the blade dry and rust-free since it does not sweat/bleed after being carved out.

Perhaps Stu can explain in greater detail.

--Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X