Late War Naval Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late War Naval Sword

These things come in spurts! Just got this in today. It's one of those late war naval swords. I know there is a debate about these. Would like to get some opinions on this one.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    Attached Files

Has the black lacquered saya, and single army type hanger.
    Attached Files

Comment

All parts are numbered "91". Even inside the saya is a "91".
      Attached Files

Comment

Everything looks ok to me, but I'm not sure about the sarute. I've never seen one with a sarute on them. Is it correct?
        Attached Files

Comment

Army shingunto fittings!

Comment

Has naval anchor stamp on tang. Also painted numbers but nothing else.
            Attached Files

Comment

Matt,

I've always liked these little "bastard children" of the gunto world! The blades are almost always have a great polish, and the fittings are usually in great shape. I'm well aware of the debate about their date and reason for manufacture, though, everyone agrees the blades and most of the koshirae are WWII items.

Your naval stamp is of the Toyokawa Naval Arsenal.

Comment

Bruce,

Thank you for the comments. Yes, I like these late Naval swords as well. Some call them NLF swords.
                What do think about the sarute on this one though? I think it's been added post war by someone.??

I've owned another one shown below in the photos as well. This one has the tang marked though

Matt
                Attached Files
                Last edited by MP41; 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Hard to say about that sarute. I’ve seen the wire kind on officer gunto but that one doesn’t look right.

Comment

光永作
                    Mitsunaga-saku

Comment

Hi
                      Great name " "bastard children" of the gunto world!" I like these swords too.
                      Regards
                      Frank

Comment

Originally posted by MP41 View Post
                        All parts are numbered "91". Even inside the saya is a "91".
                        Blade also:

九一

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                          Blade also:

九一

--Guy
                          Which matches the number on the tsuba, which was one of the things that made me want to say these gunto were made during the war. The numbering of parts is a well established process used by the arsenals.

HOWEVER, if these were assembled right after the war, many of the workers would have been aware of the process and no doubt used it to assemble these parts!

Comment

Matt,

Just came across a pic of a tsuka with wire sarute. THIS is how I'm used to seeing them, which makes yours look not-right; but, if these gunto were assembled post-war, then I believe they used whatever parts were available. The one-piece fuchi/seppa appears to be post-war manufactured, so maybe the sarute were too.
                            Attached Files

Comment

these have been discussed here there and everywhere...
                              no real conclusion.
                              heard everything from late war to post war assembled for GI's and even up into the Korean war.

Mix of navy blade and army fittings what ever was left to sell to make a buck.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X