Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese naval flag

Hi guys,

This is my first time on the Japanese Militaria forum. I'm usually causing troule elsewhere on WAF. Anyway I'm going to be in need of some help.

I possibly have an opportunity to acquire a few Japanese items directly from a vet. The other items are an almost new condition Army pattern katana and an mint conditioned Arisaka rifle unfortunately with the mum ground. The condition of these items are immaculate. These items were picked up and shipped home by the vet in Japan proper in late 1945.

The flag first if we may.

The flag is a huge Japanese naval flag with the rising sun with the rays. This flag has no markings that I can find. It has a very stout cord( about finger to thumb thickness) for the lack of a better description that would be to tie the flag to a mast/pole. There are no gromets but the corners are re-enforced. the 'meatball' (hinamaru?) and the rays are sewn together as is some of the white to make up the large size. A very quality flag that is not printed.

The size is 12'6" (150") long by 7'9" (93") high and the red 'meatball' is 4' (48") in diameter.

The condition is excellent with no damage or staining.

What is an honest value for it? What would be a fair price to pay? I am looking to be fair with the vet.

Sorry but I don't have any pictures at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Tony
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Values and Price ranges

Hello. Prices vary on these flags depending on where you sell it (Militaria show, gun show or internet). A militaria show or Ebay is your best bet for top dollar. These Battle flags and the signed "meatball" flags are the most popular but not the rarest of Japanese flags. I've been collecting Japanese navy flags for over 20 years now, my main collecting focus is Jap ordnance with Jap flags coming in a close second. *I'm definitely not interested in purchasing such a large flag but I can give you an idea of value and price range. Get a second opinion, anyway here goes: I stress it again, prices vary but a large flag is definitely worth well over $1K and could see a high end asking price at $1,800. I've seen even higher asking prices for HUGE flags BUT one thing to consider is that these are truly NOT rare flags and it's a HARD, hard sell over $1.8K. Even getting the $1.8K price might be hard. This flag might be a slow seller because the size makes it harder to move. People like smaller more displayable flags. One thing to mention to the flag owner, don't ever wash these, the red dye runs and it will destroy the piece. If the flag is made from wool, bag it with mothballs. Moths love to dine on old Japanese wool! The so called navy "Battle" flags has the off-centered red ball with 16 rays. Officer rank navy flags(Admiral, V.Admiral, R. Admiral, Commadore*) have the centered ball with 8 rays. V. Admiral and R. Admiral have red lines along the top edge and top and bottom edges respectively. Commander* flags have the red ball with 4 rays. Both the Commadore and Commander flags are actually double pointed swallow tail shaped pennants. The highest rank Japanese navy flag is the Naval Secretary flag with anchor, flower and wavy lines motif. Navy patriotic flags also have the anchor and flower with much design variations. I stress again, prices vary and it may not be easy getting the high end price but be patient and now you have an idea of value. good luck. Jim B

PS. If you sell it through the internet you need to post several good pictures.

Comment

one thing..

I mentioned in my last post "even higher asking prices for Huge flags". I have seen prices above $1.8K for flags larger than 8 x 12. I did see a waship flag that must have been 12 x 16 feet. I think the asking price was $3K and I don't know if the piece sold at the price (probably not). Keep in mind that the value I suggested is for a flag of that specific size(8 x 12) . Smaller battleflags are well under the prices mentioned. The last 5 x 8 battleflag I purchased cost me $700. I've had opportunities to purchase other 5 x 8 battleflags for under $700 but I just don't need duplicates. The small silk battleflags are $50-$130 range. All these flags are available and prices vary. Jim
      Last edited by JCB; 04-06-2005, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jim,

I didn't realise that flags commanded those kind of prices. I appreciate your help.

Tony
        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X