Is This String From A Helmet Net ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This String From A Helmet Net ?

I picked up a USMC dog tag that had a odd string to wear his tags. After looking around I noticed the helmet nets the Japanese used and thought it might be the piece of a net, maybe the piece that tied the net to the helmet. The Marine was at Cape Gloucester and Peleliu. He spent a lot of time at Peleliu till he was sent home from the war. If I had a net in hand it would be great too compare so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

It looks like the one on my helmet net.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
      It looks like the one on my helmet net.
      Thanks I had a suspicion that it might be and I had looked at many of the helmets that were posted by other members and that led me to post so thanks again.

Comment

I'm not an expert on USMC items but is that a normal issue tag??

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
          I'm not an expert on USMC items but is that a normal issue tag??
          In the early part of the war the Marines and the Navy still did this style of etching. I have two PHM1/c tags and finally a USMC tag to add to my collection. I have also seen a few USMC tags in other collections made the same way.

Comment

Hmm, cool. Is the lettering actually raised above the surface (like the base material was etched down)? Or is the lettering indented like it was engraved or just the letters etched out?
            Really cool item and it would be interesting to research the individual soldiers history for a guy who joined pre-war.

Comment

Hmm, cool. Is the lettering actually raised above the surface (like the base material was etched down)? Or is the lettering indented like it was engraved or just the letters etched out?
              Really cool item and it would be interesting to research the individual soldiers history for a guy who joined pre-war.
              They wrote the lettering and then used a super fine asphalt powder and dusted the ink and then heated the tag till the asphalt powder melted and bonded together . Then it was soaked for a period of time in a type of acid that eats the metal that is not protected by asphalt powder. And the type of metal used made them easier to do which was Monel.

Comment

If i saw one of these at a show for sale, what ballpark value would a US Army bring And a USMC bring? Did this DT style stop right after the huge ramp up in 1942?

Comment

Here is one I was practicing to do for our Cub Scout Pack. I used a Sharpie and some ferric acid from Radio Shack and some brass from the scrap yard. The sharpie didn’t last long but long enough to do the job.
                  Attached Files

Comment

If i saw one of these at a show for sale, what ballpark value would a US Army bring And a USMC bring? Did this DT style stop right after the huge ramp up in 1942?
                    Price veried on the history connected to the tag and the Army never did it and at 1942 the Navy ended etching the finger print on the back and the USMC stopped etching finger prints in 1943.

Comment

So here's one off Ebay with what appears to be stamped characters on the front and the fingerprint on the back and a T-11-41 date. Is it a reasonable assumption that in the time frame between your T-7-41 etched name tag and this stamped T-11-41 DT that the process changed?

To me that would up the value of the etched name tags even more because of the much lower pre-war troop count. thanks for sharing on this topic i had no idea about.

As Moe used to say to his knucklehead brothers "Yea - yah learn something new every minute!"

Comment

So here's one off Ebay with what appears to be stamped characters on the front and the fingerprint on the back and a T-11-41 date. Is it a reasonable assumption that in the time frame between your T-7-41 etched name tag and this stamped T-11-41 DT that the process changed?

To me that would up the value of the etched name tags even more because of the much lower pre-war troop count. thanks for sharing on this topic i had no idea about.

As Moe used to say to his knucklehead brothers "Yea - yah learn something new every minute!"

I have a 1-1942 tag that is fully etched and I have seen others that almost made it to 43. I have seen tags that had connections to certain battalions that went for $500 +.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X