The Seki Stamp - Gendaito or Showato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Seki Stamp - Gendaito or Showato

For the gunto collector, determining gendaito or showato often is a simple thing if it comes with an arsenal inspector stamp. Star stamp - gendaito; ANY other stamp - showato. But the Seki stamp is a bit messy! Initially, as I've learned about stamps, I believed a Seki stamp was a sure sign of a non-traditionally made blade. But I now own a Star-stamped blade with a small Seki stamp on the nakago mune. I just saw a guy's blade with a Star stamp and a small Seki stamp on the "date" side of the nakago. Also, I've seen 2 blades that were identified as gendaito, but had a large Seki stamp right above the signature kanji.

Discussion followed about the size of the stamp being an indication about gendai vs showato.

My theory: Knowing that the Seki swordsmith "guild" originated the stamp, but it was later hyjacked by the IJA arsenals, I propose that the "larger" Seki stamp will be found on guild-made gendaito; while the "small" Seki stamp is an arsenal inspector stamp and is found on showato, UNLESS it is anywhere BUT above the smith name.. It seems to fit what I am seeing out there.

Thoughts? Examples?

Update:

General consensus on the NMB: Small Seki stamps on the nakago mune of a Star-stamped blade is common and does not mean showato, it is a gendaito. Seki stamp on the signature side of the nakago (no star) is showato.

I'm having a hard time finding the recent post where I saw a blade with a lengthy signature and an unusually large Seki stamp right at the top of the kanji. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and can post a link, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Someone also said over there something like, only the militaria collectors have problems with the stamp. I guess he wanted to say that the Japanese sword collectors will look beyond the tang of a sword. That's a valid point. We need to look at the more important part of the Japanese sword, the blade first, its length, its shape, every activity, every detail in the blade, and any other things I forget to mention. That'll help us to figure out which one is gendaito, and which one is not, and why.
      Last edited by oldhonda; 03-28-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X