No announcement yet.

Woodwork Find Sword and Blade Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gimei is fake signature. It's forgery of another person's signature, usually a famous person.

Say someone signed a baseball with a name Mickey Mantle. Sold it on ebay for big bucks. What do you call it? I don't know.

In the world of Japanese swords, it's called gimei.

Comment

Tom,

The recognition of signatures takes a great deal of study and experience. Opinions are easy to come by, factual I.D.s are an art!

The issue of fake signatures goes back centuries as blades made by famous smiths sold for more money than those of non-famous smiths. Some could not resist the temptation to copy the style and signature of a famous Smith to sell at a higher price. Often their work was of really good quality.

At the same time, famous smiths were known to put out blades that were sub-par in quality. So, collectors always remind the buyer to “buy the blade, not the name!”

You have a legit Japanese sword. Enjoy it! As to it’s smith, only research and you can reach a conclusion (or an in-hand evaluation by an experienced expert!).

Comment

Japanese swords are infested with gimei. It's so bad to a point that when you encounter a signed old sword like this one, you'll have to assume the worst, in order to protect your interests. And, I'm not talking about the fake Japanese swords. The fake Japanese swords are not even in the game, because anyone with a basic internet access can spot them. Gimei are only on the real Japanese swords. The signature forgers know their business!

Comment

Thank you all so much for helping me learn and understand.

So, the signature (if real) is of a famous sword smith??

And, if a gimei, then on a real blade and possibly done over a hundred years ago???

Where would be a good place for a hands on expert to evaluate it, short of sending it to Japan??

Would it be worth doing?? Thanks!!

Comment

Swors

I believe there is a sword show and Shinsa next month in Chicago. Japanese appraisers will be there

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kibler View Post
              So, the signature (if real) is of a famous sword smith??
              And, if a gimei, then on a real blade and possibly done over a hundred years ago???
              Where would be a good place for a hands on expert to evaluate it, short of sending it to Japan??
              Would it be worth doing?? Thanks!!
              Gimei is always on the real blade, because a fake blade will be singled out the second a collector (or anyone spend an hour learning Japanese swords) see it. It'll not be worth the trouble to put a fake signature on a fake blade. What's the point if as soon as it shows up and people know it's a fake?

Comment

Originally posted by oldhonda View Post
                Gimei is always on the real blade, because a fake blade will be singled out the second a collector (or anyone spend an hour learning Japanese swords) see it. It'll not be worth the trouble to put a fake signature on a fake blade. What's the point if as soon as it shows up and people know it's a fake?
                Understood, thank you.

So the signature (whether real or a gimei) is of a famous swords smith??

Comment

Kinmichi is a known name. There're many generations of Kinmich. Most are mid-level from the collector's point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by oldhonda View Post
                    Kinmichi is a known name. There're many generations of Kinmich. Most are mid-level from the collector's point of view.
                    Thank you..... once again. Hoping to figure a way to get it to the Chicago show...

Comment

When this sword was made most samurai would not know a genuine Mei of kinmichi to a gimei
                      It was done at the time to sell the sword for more money
                      It's best to look at a blade first before the Mei
                      It's an old blade and could have merit it just wasn't made by kinmichi in my opinion of any generation

Comment

Here are some other photos I just took of the tang and the reverse.. Thanks!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X