• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this?

Any one know what this is?
    Attached Files

Artillery level

Comment

It’s called a goniometer. It’s used to precisely measure angles.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

I would say this was a Clinometer.
          A goniometer tends to be a jointed gadget, which is positioned across two surfaces simultaneously and the angle between then measured (commonly used in medicine to gauge joint flexibility).
          In artillery use, an Inclinometer (or Clinometer) is employed. The inclusion of a bubble level requires the use of only one flat surface, such as the top of the breechblock, to measure/check its angle of elevation against the level, and is far more accurate.
          That's the way I understand it; I stand to be corrected, of course.
          All the best,
          Bob

Comment

You are most likely right Bob, I have one of these little devices, and that’s what I was told it was here on the forum. I never really checked to verify. I guess I should have. Sorry if I spread some incorrect information.

Comment

No problem, VPEP.
              As you know (and additional to my last), the degrees are read off from the internal dial, visible through the little window on the side (not visible in the photos).
              These originally came in a little leather or canvas pouch with roller-buckle and strap closure.
              The goniometer measures the angle between two surfaces anywhere in space, whereas the Clinometer measures one surface against the horizontal.
              Either way, a lovely little find!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X