Japanese training bayonet with school marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese training bayonet with school marks

Found this on ebay, thought it was interesting. The seller says the markings are from a school. Can anyone verify that or add more info? THANKS
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Wartime Collectables View Post
    Found this on ebay, thought it was interesting. The seller says the markings are from a school. Can anyone verify that or add more info? THANKS

That second kanji looks like it's missing the left portion of a two-part kanji. The only (modern) kanji I can find for that base element on the right side are:
    象 像 橡 豫 櫞

And none of them look like they have the two "dots". I've paired each of the above with the first kanji (below), but got no hits in the dictionaries or online.

Anyway, means to "open up / break up (land) / clear (land)" pioneer/settler is [kaitakusha] so I wonder if this has anything to do with pioneers who settled in Manchuria?

--Guy

Comment

Do the Japanese refer to Engineers as Pioneers as do some nations.

Comment

Originally posted by Wartime Collectables View Post
        Do the Japanese refer to Engineers as Pioneers as do some nations.
        No. "Pioneer" in Japanese is used as "pioneer spirit", and the way we use for the people who settle new lands (like the pioneers of the American West).

The Japanese term for engineer is Kōhei.

工兵(こうへい、英: military engineer, combat engineer, pioneer)は、陸軍における戦闘支援兵科の一種であり、歩兵、砲兵、騎兵に並ぶ四大兵科の一つである 。陸上自衛隊においては施設科と呼ばれる。

A military engineer (English: military engineer, combat engineer, pioneer) is a type of battle support military in the army and is one of the four great military departments alongside infantry, artillery and cavalry. In the Ground Self Defense Force it is called the Facilities Department.
        --Guy

Comment

A bit better pic. My apologies for not knowing proper orientation of the writing.
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X