Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese cavalry canteen

Hello everyone !

I am offered this Japanese canteen which apparently would be for the cavalry.

I would like to have a confirmation if it is indeed a canteen of the Japanese cavalry period WW2. And would you have an idea of ​​the price ?

Thank you very much.

I cannot voice opinion on the canteen, but it is named to

伊藤
    Itō

--Guy

Comment

Never seen a cover like that !

Comment

All cavalry canteens I've seen are round - common to find used in Chinese theater and somewhat rare in the PTO. Google it and you will see.

This looks an Army. Cover is interesting and I have never seen one like this either.

Comment

Thank you all for your response and for the translation of name !

I will wait to see if anyone has more information about this canteen

Comment

Aloha Remka,
            Was this canteen listed as cavalry? Ritta Nakanishi book “Japanese Military Uniforms 1930-1945” page 31, shows only two types of cavalry canteens, which is different from the army canteens. The old model has shoulder & water bottle harness similar to the regular army but water bottle has a different shape. The new model is totally different, round with leather straps. There might be other models but haven’t seen any in my reference books.

Here’s my cavalry canteen which has “Made in Japan” on the body underneath the leather strap: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...avalry+canteen. Both Jareth and James made good points but as James mentioned, some Tabi had “Made in Japan” too… Thread by Ryukyutunnelrat, (David, I hope you don’t mind me using your thread).. shows his rounded toe tabi’s “Made in Japan” bottom. http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=Tabi+shoes.

The water bottle and wooden stopper looks good for army, just the canvas harness and strap looks odd.

Comment

Hi,

The good point is that it looks well made from period material. Here the cover looks like it have been made from bits of IJA breadbag. Curious conversation piece. Not textbook.

The bad points are that you will be stick forever to specalutations about when it have been made and for whom. Not textbook. I don't think it's late war because of the leather strap and metal button and use of large bits of fabric which is not material savy at all. The lace doesn't look military and could have been added by anybody to complete the set. On other words could be anything from field made (but again it's rather too clean and well made) or civil defense / association, to post war for camping or so.

That's might be a cool UFO example for an hardcore IJA canteen collector but if you like to know what you are collecting that's not the canteen you would buy. Hard to put a value on something like this. Could be as low as 10$ to 100$, depends on what you choose to believe.

Comment

Thank you very much for your precise answers.

In any case, even if I do not know what it is, I still learned about the canteen of cavalry!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X