Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese binoc translation help

Hello gents,
    Working my way through a few Japanese items and I've found these 7x50 binocs with some Kanji characters on the case lid. Any idea what they denote? and the markings on the binocs themselves? I assume some are manufacturers codes? I see a set on fleabay like these stating that they are 'commander' binocs. Was there a specific use for these? or just general usage?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Eric
    Attached Files

two
    Attached Files

Comment

bloodstains on the strap- I wish these could talk.
      Attached Files

Comment

Let me preface my comments by saying I am not a collector nor am I a very good Japanese reader....

1. The painted kanji

遣福
        Kenfuku -- I'm just guessing that this is a contraction for a longer phrase. I cannot find it as a name while doing a google search, even when reversing the kanji.

Literally:
        Dispatch; donate; give
        Fortune, luck

While using Weblio, this result came up ... and that is why I think the two kanji are a contraction:

労働者等の祉の増進
        Haken rōdō-sha-tō no fukushi no zōshin
        Promotion of the Welfare of Dispatched

• haken = dispatched (as in dispatched overseas; also as today contractors are dispatched to various companies)
        • Fukushi = Welfare

Again, I'm just guessing!!! Hopefully, someone who knows better can school us with the correct translation.

2. Kanji on the body of the binoculars

呉廠
        Kure-shō
        Kure Depot

Which -- I think-- is a contraction for:
        海軍工
        Kure Kaigun Kosho
        Kure Naval Arsenal

(航)
        Flight/navigation

目盛人
        Scale or gradiation / person
        Not sure how this translates: is their a reticle scale that is based on human height? I remember in the army using binoculars with horizontal and vertical scales to guestimate range when calling for artillery. I found a civilian one, below; as well as a military-use reticle.

Cheers,
        --Guy
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Guy, there is no scale or marking inside the lens though just a plain viewing field.
          I truly appreciate your efforts and I know it took quite some time to create that post,
          Again-thank you Sir.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
            Thank you Guy, there is no scale or marking inside the lens though just a plain viewing field.
            I truly appreciate your efforts and I know it took quite some time to create that post,
            Again-thank you Sir.

Eric
            Thanks Eric; I'm always happy to assist when I can ... and hopefully *not* muddy-up the waters!

--Guy

Comment

This is the spirit of the WAF in my opinion. Members such as yourself truly define this forum for me.
              Thanks again,
              E

Comment

Guy,

目盛入 would make sense.

Comment

"nor am I a very good Japanese reader...." Are you having a laugh Guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Lampwick View Post
                    "nor am I a very good Japanese reader...." Are you having a laugh Guy?
                    Ha! Talk to my wife the language teacher/translator/interpreter .... she'll confirm it!

Her:Me

--Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X