EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1500s Japanese Samurai Wakizashi sword signed Hiro Masa w/scabbard+tsuba-help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1500s Japanese Samurai Wakizashi sword signed Hiro Masa w/scabbard+tsuba-help needed!

Hi all!

I was recently offered this sword and was wondering if anyone could help- I have had a few early 1900's-1945 Japanese swords of varying quality, but I have never had an old one that was also signed!

The sword actually had a several decade old appraisal certificate which was sadly lost- what was remembered was that the sword is inscribed "Hiro Masa", is likely made in the Chikugo Province or Soshu very roughly around 1550. There may also be something special about the Tsuba.

The owner has applied a light amount of clove oil to the blade and cleaned it, I am not sure what effect this has on the blade. On the back spine it appears the sword was in some sort of fight as there is a parry dent (or some other damage mark, please see photos.) A piece of black cord was wrapped around the scabbard very recently to keep it from further splitting.

If anyone could help me with identifying the type of sword, its age or any information at all regarding the sword, tsuba or any part, I would be very grateful. What variation is it and what kind of Japanese soldier would have such a sword? Thanks and I look forward to learning about this swords history!

Wakizashi, handachi civil mount; kodzuka/pocket knife missing. Nakago signed

廣正
    Hiromasa

Looks like the blade was shortened about 2 inches, original hole just above the signature; the "new" hole was done way before WWII -- I'm not knowledgeable enough to voice an opinion as to when the blade might have been shortened.

The tsuba (nice!) has Kikkō motif (tortoise shell), and two ude-nuki ana (cord retention holes). The illustration [from Nakamura Taizaburo's book] shows how the retaining cord was used.

--Guy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GHP; 03-10-2018, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Wakizashi

Also Ill add that condition of blade is extremely important, yours is on its last polish, should be enjoyed as it is. Polishing at this point would only make the grain openings larger exposing the core steel. So if you are considering buying it keep that in mind. Also the longer the blade the more desirable it is to collectors.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I very much appreciate it! What would a fair price to pay for the sword be, considering its condition? Is the Tsuba worth more than the actual sword?

Steve- Thanks for the info on the blade condition, I knew it had wear but was unsure how much- I know they need a proper sword polisher to maintain them and that they often get destroyed.

-Guy, thank you so much ! I had no idea it was shortened, thank you for the Kanji translation as well. Do you have an idea of the date of the Tsuba?

Cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by Discostu View Post
          -Guy, thank you so much ! I had no idea it was shortened, thank you for the Kanji translation as well. Do you have an idea of the date of the Tsuba?
          Sorry, I am not a collector; but just guessing by the style, I'd say Edo period.

Here's an instructive Nihonto Message Board thread about udenuki-ana.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks again, I will look into it

Cheers!

Comment

Tsuba made in the style of Nobuiye. But not an original. If it was, you would have the find of the decade. But it's a nice tsuba anyways..a few hundred $'s worth.
              As for the blade, I suspect this is a kazu-uchi-mono. Late Koto often are...mass produced due to the number of wars at the time, and speed in churning them out was more important than quality.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X