Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minister's Court Uniform

Hello,

Posted here is a rather rare Meiji-Taisho era Court Uniform for a person of noble or minister's rank. Although the gold embroidery is very fragile, it is incredibly impressive. Almost a cm thick, it is all hand applied twisted gold and silver wires, the trim is not tape but wires woven together during embroidering.

It is really too bad the thread core of the embroidery has aged to the point of being so fragile as there is not one moth bite on the entire uniform, and moths are a big thing over here.

It has loops for one breast star on the right, and a medal bar on the left.

I have seen the lower ranking Court Uniforms of Diplomat/ Local Official rank before, but this is the first of such high rank I have ever encountered outside of a museum.

Anyone out there have any interest in such uniforms......other than me?
    Last edited by W.Unland; 04-02-2008, 01:04 AM.

A little closer.
    Last edited by anrando; 03-26-2005, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Here is the reverse.

Comment

And a close up of the embroidery.

Anyone out there have a vest?

Regards,
        Bill Unland

Comment

It's really amazing how much detail went into these and makes you wonder how long it took to embroider it. Do you have the officials name? I take it it's in your collection ......very nice.

eric

Comment

Hello,

No name. The families over here usually cut it out before they sell grandpa's things, so finding named pieces is VERY rare. Yes I just got this, Wish I could afford to conserve it, but I imagine it would cost 1000's if I could even find anyone who could still do this kind of work. Japan ISN'T what it used to be re: handwork.

Regards,
            Bill Unland

Comment

Bill,

Very impressive!

I must admit that I don't know a whole heck of a lot about these uniforms.

Out of curiosity, what part of Japan are you in anyway?

Eric

Comment

I am in Hiratsuka City, a mid sized industrial town with lots of bars and the Yakuza that go with them, about an hour by train south of Tokyo. Not a place I would recommend to see the good side of Japan

Regards,
                Bill Unland

Comment

Bill,

I know what you mean as I frequented the bars, and "rubbed elbows" with some Yakuza, when I was there (i.e., in Japan) in 1981 thru 1984.

What is your collecting interest by the way?

Eric

Comment

Dear Eric,

Actually I collect Japanese and German police. Police collecting is a hazard of all retired cops I'm afraid I saw this though and couldn't pass it as I know I have only seen another at the Meiji Shrine museum, abd it obviously wasn't for sale.

Regards,
                    Bill Unland

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for the message and thank you for sharing that very impressive uniform with us.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X