No announcement yet.

Helmet star...real or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Paul. No question that the ones w/ the "flat" base aren't period, but I can find nothing at all "out of sorts" with the one I posted as regards fit, finish, or configuration (other than the square ends). IF indeed "old repros", they certainly do seem spot-on! BTW, it'd be interesting to see one of the ones you say you have, (like mine), for comparison's sake. Thanks for your reply!

Comment

Hi everybody,

I am not able to help sorry. But at least this is a very good illustration of the V shape vs the U shape. Thanks to all of you.

Cheers,
      Mat.

Comment

Originally posted by Milton View Post
        Hi Paul. No question that the ones w/ the "flat" base aren't period, but I can find nothing at all "out of sorts" with the one I posted as regards fit, finish, or configuration (other than the square ends). IF indeed "old repros", they certainly do seem spot-on! BTW, it'd be interesting to see one of the ones you say you have, (like mine), for comparison's sake. Thanks for your reply!
        I will see if I can get a picture of one tomorrow when I get home.

PG-

Comment

Here is a helmet star I picked up more than a few years ago. It is rusty, pitted, nasty and I assume original. I think I bought this from Eric Doody?

Comment

Here are some Loose IJA helmet stars I have. The first two are original for sure and have the rounded end prong style, both slightly different. The green one has been covered in that "touch up stripe" paint that gets blobbed on and around the helmets outside perimeter. The other has the chalky style of paint you sometimes see on sun bleached helmets. I feel like the other two are older repos. The one in pictures 2 and 3 on the far right, being like Miltons, in construction and age. All just a little bit different.

PG-
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Paul G; 03-28-2018, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Great photos Paul, thanks for posting. I'd be loathe to too quickly pass those off as repops, at least IMO...Just for example, look at the simple variation in the curvature of the prong-ends on two that you deem as original...one has a much more pronounced curve to it than the other. This alone gives one pause to consider that there were indeed variations in the mfg. process. Thanks again for posting.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X