Helmet star...real or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet star...real or not?

This star quite literally fell into my lap. I was dusting a civil defense helmet I purchased some time ago, and when I turned it over, the star fell out from under the liner. My question is, is this a genuine army helmet star, or is it most likely a reproduction put there by a dealer with the intent to turn it into a combat helmet.
    Thanks in advance,
    Vic
    Attached Files

Based on its construction, Its a repo.

PG-

Comment

Hi Paul,

Could you let me know what's wrong with it? I have this one which is the same, I believed it to be original but I wonder now. I don't see any differences in construction. Just wear and color but it could be conterfeit.

image uploader

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I thought it might be too good to be true, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
          Hi Paul,

Could you let me know what's wrong with it? I have this one which is the same, I believed it to be original but I wonder now. I don't see any differences in construction. Just wear and color but it could be conterfeit.

image uploader
          Staldion, your star is different in construction and has a better chance of being an original. Look at the base of the original posters star, see how far the two prongs are apart. With this style of repo, the star prongs are attached to the star in a way that makes the prongs look like a U shape, instead of a V shape like an original.They have to be bent together to fit through the slit in the helmet, as this one has. It looks like yours has the proper V shape.

PG
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your help Paul. Here are better pictures. The difference looks very subtle, the prong is bend on one side. Maybe not the same way?

Vic would you post a side view from your star please ?

Comment

Thanks Paul for the detailed explanation.

Comment

Staldion, based off the new photos, I believe your star is an older repo. I have never seen an original with this type of prong attachment, but it does not mean it did not exist. Maybe someone else can say for 100% sure.

PG-

Comment

I went through the process of checking the one that is on the helmet I own, and I saw another difference in the shape of the prong's end. If the size is matching, their shape is not perfectly circular, like it is on that spare example. So I believe you are right about it.

Well, better late than never. In the end I am glad I learned something useful. Thank you Paul.

This is what happened when you don't do your homework first before buying something you are not use to !

Cheers,
                  Mat.

Comment

Here is a side view of mine.
                    Attached Files

Comment

This thread caught my attention...am curious if the general consensus is that ALL IJA helmet stars had prongs that were slightly rounded (as opposed to the IJN helmets which were square), or have some IJA helmets w/ stars sporting SQUARED prongs also been documented, and vice-versa (IJN helmet insignia w/ rounded prongs)? I'm basically wondering if documented variations existed on both. Thanks for any add'l info.

Comment

All the original helmets I have seen have rounded prongs on IJA helmets and squared off prongs on IJA helmets.

PG-

Comment

Thanks Paul. The piece which raises my inquiry is shown below...Appears un-issued, construction seems correct, as does old brownish paint color, patina / oxidation seems commensurate w/ assumed age...I've also read that there exist versions w/ both rounded and squared off prongs on IJA helmets...might be a later war expedient as to eliminate another needless step in the manufacturing process (the trimming of the steel prong ends), for example? This one seems pretty legit to me at least...Be interesting to hear your thoughts? Thx.
                          Attached Files

Comment

well, sans any additional informed commentary to the contrary, I'm comfortable with this one being period, "squared off" prong ends and all.

Comment

I have a couple of those stars I bought as reproductions years ago. I bought them from a seller who got them in an estate with other legit WW2 Japanese items. I have not seen an unquestionably original unmolested helmet that has one like this, but I also feel we don't know everything. They certainly show age in hand, and the age is legitimate. My feeling is, repo, old repo, until proven otherwise. However, I am open to the thought of late war expedient. I can with 100% certainty say, that I am not 100% certain on the style Milton has shown, but am on the style that started this thread.

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X