Japanese Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Sword

Hi, I'm kinda new to the forum. I have a question, I went to a local gun shop and I noticed a WWII Japanese sword. The handle is like a bronze/metal type handle with a kinda basket weave grip which is also bronze/metal like. The actual blade itself is nice and shinny, the scaberd shows a lot of wear. They say/think its an original WWII officers sword. IF its what they say... how much do they run? I will try and see if the gentleman will allow me to take pictures.

It sure sounds like what you are describing is an NCO sword. There is a thread devoted to them back near the start of this section,with photos.

Doug Price

Comment

i'm sorry, i'm unable to find it. i can't go back any further on the forum for some reason or i'm just simply overlooking it.

Comment

The sword you are describing is the typical NCO Army sword. The blade will also have a serial number on it. In today's world, real clean ones can bring $400-$500. With a beat up scabbard, I would say more like $300-$400. A few years back, they were very difficult to sell. Today, there is a better market for them.

Bob

Comment

I'm reposting the photo from the thread on page 4 called "NCO swords"

Doug Price
          Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the help. info was very helpfull.

Justen. W

Comment

justen,
              I just saw this thread. You say the handle was a bronze metal? Could it have been copper? If so, it was one of the first 5000 NCO swords made in the mid-1939's and is very desirable, compare to the aluminum handled ones. (I'm not referring to the tsuba, or guard, but the handle itself). One of these sold on eBay a few weeks back for $1900 and it was not even in very good condition.

Originally posted by Justen_Wilson
              thanks for the help. info was very helpfull.

Justen. W

Comment

Here's is a rare, early, copper handled NCO. Only the first 5000 out of 250,000 or so NCO swords were made of this copper.
                Attached Files

Comment

Detail on the copper handle is superb. unfortunately, someone polished this one before they put it on their table at a gun show about 4 years ago. it's just starting to get it's patina back.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X