Japanese Sword help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Sword help

Could anyone help me out in identifying/dating this sword, and help on its value. I took the best shots that I could and tried to take the grip off, but it didn't budge. I didn't want to damage anything without the owner there. If everthing turns out good, I will go back for photos of the tang. Blade appears to have been polished at some point. One side has less luster than the other, and there is some pitting. The tip also appears to have some minor damage. However, a note left by the owner translated the tang. It read:

Hizen Nolkuni jutada yoshi
    One the sira safa Todayoshi-with a title made this in Hizen Province.

Thanks Jeff
    Attached Files

two
    Attached Files

Comment

three
      Attached Files

Comment

tip
        Attached Files

Comment

sword

Hi Jeff,

Looks like there is some ware (openings) in the steel. The tadayoshi are know for there fine hada (grain). So far it does not look consistent with there work. If you can post pics of the signature and better pics of the steel I can help. Feel free to email me larger pics of the sword and I should be able give a better idea.
          How long is the cutting edge?<o =""></o>

Comment

Sayagaki

The sayagaki [scabbard writing] attributes the sword to Tadayoshi living in Hizen [Hiroshima] province. It reads from top to bottom:
            Hi
            Zen
            Kuni [Country/province]
            Ju [living in]
            Tada ["chu" -- loyal; pronounced as "tada" when a proper noun]
            Yoshi [good fortune] Tadayoshi is a first name; in this case, an art name
            Saku [made]

"Hizen Kuni ju Tadayoshi Saku". I have no information on this swordsmith, and I am not a collector.

--Guy Power
            Last edited by GHP; 03-28-2005, 03:00 PM.

Comment

All of the information you received with regards to the sayagaki are correct. However, Hizen is part of Saga Prefecture on the southern island of Kyushu, not Hiroshima on the island of Honshu. Sayagaki can never be trusted to be a reliable indicator of the true identification of the sword. The Tadayoshi were a well known line of sword makers spanning from the late 1500's to the begining of the Meiji period in the late 19th century. Some were of great skill and others not so great. As it is a well known name, there are numerous fake signatures inscribed on blades that are the work of others. If unsigned, the attribution is even more sprurious. Validity of the attribution and identification of which generation would be necessary before any value you could be assigned. If it is not yours, buy it based on the work and condition. Also consider the value as an unsigned sword. that way, you can not error too much.
              Bob

Comment

Thanks gentlemen for the responses. I was able to get a pic of the signature, all thought not a good one. The signature was just as difficult to decipher by eye. The blade lenght is 20 1/2". Blade isn't in perfect condition as there are some flaws in the blade.

Jeff
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, but size restriction limit my photos.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yup, the mei (signature, literally "name") is the same on the nakago (tang) as on the shirasaya (white scabbard, so-called "resting scabbard" in English).

Sorry about the misidentification of "Hiroshima" -- I must have looked cross-column in my Nelson's.

The sabi (rust) looks to be early 20th century, but .... I'm taking a SWAG. I'm not an adept, and one would need to see the sword in person.

The current poor "polish" and the broken tip can be repolished -- "DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME" (sorry ... standard Television caveat that is appropriate here). If it is already in your possession, just keep it as is until someone can show you how to apply uchiko (powdered stone) and choji oil. A very light coating of choji oil on the blade only (do nothing to the tang!!) will keep it in its current condition.

Some people are tempted to remove the rust from the tang -- such an operation will invalidate the value; age is ascertained by the type/thickness of rust. This is a different black "rust" (I'm not a scientist, just repeating what I learned) that protects the steel; it is not an active red rust that ruins steel.

Cheers,
                    Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X