Help Identifying Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Identifying Items

I picked up a couple of items yesterday in a grouping of things - mostly US shoulder patches and collar insignia - that I think are Japanese, but I am not sure. I would appreciate any help identifying these items.

The first is a headset. It has what I think are Japanese markings but could be Chinese or some other far eastern country as I don't know how to distinguish Japanese characters. Interestingly it has a part marked with what may be a US patent?

Second item is a small leather pouch that looks to have a strap added to the back. No markings of any kind. Sorry for the poor quality on those photos.

Again, any help is much appreciated!

Regarfds,
    Terry
    Attached Files

2 more pics
    Attached Files

Comment

And more
      Attached Files

Comment

Last 2 of the headphones
        Attached Files

Comment

2 photos of he leather pouch. Again, sorry for the picture quality.
          Attached Files

Comment

一号 J 型受送話器
            No. 1 J form receiver/speaker

I can’t find anything else about it — still hampered by this doggone iPhone.

—Guy

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Think I found it. Note it’s got a strap-on on mike to press against the adam’s apple.

This sales site says it is extremly rare and price theirs at $550:
                https://lindamaemilitaria.com/produc...-insanely-rare

Dunno if yours is the same, or if they are as rare as ADVERTISED”.

This is by far one of the most uncommon items when it relates to Japanese Aviation from World War II. This (TTK) throat mic set is 1 of 5 known to be in existence/collections. The rarity of this piece relates to the fact they were never to be removed from the plane, so when scrapped they were destroyed at wars end with the plane themselves. This headset/throat mic was to be used in the planes by pilots or flight crew to communicate back and fourth. these headsets were often worn under the flight helmet or just bare like shown in the photos. If you are a serious collector looking to enhance your Japanese Aviation collection this is the piece for you! RARE RARE RARE!

I can’t copy thhe image, but the second photo shows the 4-pronged plug rith kanji on the housing.

—Guy

Comment

Gentlemen, the headphone speakers and mic are actually for a WWII Japanese Military Radio. Sometimes people mistake these for a set pilots headphones and throat mic - but they are different. The aviation ones have a very different cord and a 3 prong vs 4 prong connector

I have a set pictured next to a Type 94- 6 field radio that sold on Ebay back in June. The grouping (Radio, and all accessories went for $685). The ones on Ebay had the pads removed from the speakers - yours are still on. I think it was a matter of user preference. Sometimes you will see these connected with an over the head, adjustable metal frame. The four prong connector plugs into the front of the radio and two headsets with mics could be used at once for dual operators. On the schematic you can see where both the mic and the headset were used (each user pair is circled in blue). The radio is designed to also function even with the lid closed after the headsets are plugged in.

As is usual, and true on yours, the plasticized coatings on the wires oxidize, harden and crack with age.

Last edited by beretta1934; 01-21-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                    Patent applied for.

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
                      Gentlemen, the headphone speakers and mic are actually for a WWII Japanese Military Radio. ...

Comment

Thanks very much to all who gave information and opinions. Very helpful and much appreciated.

I am guessing that if they are generic military radio headphones, they would be worth much less than aviation headphones? I have already been asked about buying them and I do plan to sell, but I have no idea what they might be worth. I know most people don't like to give appraisals but just a ballpark figure to use as a starting point in a negotiation would be very useful.

Thanks again to all!

Cheers,
                        Terry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X