WW2 Japanese instrument help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Japanese instrument help

Gents, anyone have an idea what these instruments are? These are the only pictures I have. Thanks

Fritz
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Two of the instruments appear to be ammeters. The level (?) appears to be some kind of survey equipment....though if it is some type of sighting device that would be better. These items are collected but it is not my wheelhouse at all.

I discovered the linked sight below when trying to search for you, but know that the ammeters may not be aircraft cockpit gauges? Good luck. Zach

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.p...t-instruments/

Comment

Thanks Zachb! I’ve searched all over but couldn’t find it, it looks to be navy with the anchor on the name plate, going to look at these and some other stuff Friday, I’ll post more pics if I get them.

Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by Fritziii View Post
          Thanks Zachb! I’ve searched all over but couldn’t find it, it looks to be navy with the anchor on the name plate, going to look at these and some other stuff Friday, I’ll post more pics if I get them.

Fritz
          Highly recommend you don't pay much for them - the meter gauges are often on Ebay "listed" for $20 - 30 dollars but do NOT sell. I'd wouldn't pay over $10 each. the other weird electro mechanical part might nor even be japanese - pics just don't give detail. If it doesn't have a plate then i'd pass on it. Only gauges have value to collectors - oddball parts go for nothing

The round dial with a 90 degree mounting bracket is a simple daytime and clear weather direction device to "aim" at a visual object ( like a far away island, mountain top, etc) and read out the degrees on the dail. It could also be used to do a simple triangularization. A compass is used to maintain that heading from that point on. I've seen these used as survey tools or basic primitive surface navigation. A precision Survey tool is magnified to see objects further away or to pick a more detailed feature to align to.

Comment

Well I ended up getting the instruments, here is a picture of the nameplate of the instrument with the dial, it’s a navy piece. The other device that only shows the back is a US Navy torpedo bomber compass

Fritz
            Attached Files

Comment

Well I ended up getting the instruments, here is a picture of the nameplate of the instrument with the dial, it’s a navy piece. The other device that only shows the back is a US Navy torpedo bomber compass

Fritz

Good for you. Was it a reasonable price?

You might take another picture of the data plate (in better lighting) and post it in a separate thread and specifically ask for a translation. Sometimes these type of instruments are called surveyor protractors too.

David

Comment

I think so, got these four instruments plus a larger ampmeter, the leaflet and some gun inspection (barrel mirrors, US I believe) at a decent price, really would like to know what this data plate says

Fritz

Comment

I’m still on an iPhone and not a computer —all I can make out now is the manufacturer’s name on the bottom:

第一海軍航空 *兵器
                  Dai Ichi Kaigun Kouku * Heiki
                  Dai’ichi [Number One] Navy Flight * Weapons.

—Guy

Comment

Back on the computer:

The missing kanji was "factory"
                    第一海軍航空廠兵器
                    Dai'ichi Kaigun Kuko-sho Heiki
                    Dai'ichi Navy Aircraft Factory Ordnance

https://key-performance.jp/blog/aviation-factory/

--Guy

Comment

Fritz
                      的針方位測定器
                      Target orientation measuring instrument

I tried to find a better translation but failed.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks Guy!!!

Fritz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X