Japanese photo with horse, need translation please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese photo with horse, need translation please

I would like to know more about this group photo of children and of a horse with the rider like in a costume? On the inside cover of the frame are Japanese characters and it would really be great if someone would translate them. It would be interesting to know the story behind this photo. Thanks.

Some gaps to fill ... here's what I've got:

本年十二才
    This year, 12 years old

最も大兵である
    He is the greatest soldier

帽子*い並の*三才
    キル
    Cap * .... 3 year-old [either living at, or his posture on the horse????]

I really can't give a good guess as to what this line says. It might relate to his living there since age 3; or his seated posture [called 居まい [Isumai] in Japanese].

Anyway, it sounds like someone is very proud of the boy!! (^__^)

カオ大方にみます

His face looks large-sized and robust.

The writer uses katakana カオ [kao] instead of the kanji for face [kao]; possibly so that the child can read what is written?

I'm taking a guess at "robust" -- it is not a standard kanji. is written very cursively and is hard for me to read. It comprises two "radicals": and ; the first half is easy to read; and I think the last part of it is as it looks to be three strokes -- but I'm just taking a leap of faith here.

====Bottom Corner=======
    濱村寫眞館
    Hamamura Photo Hall

肥後荒尾
    Higo Arao Town

We get a date-hint here. Arao Village 荒尾 transitioned to Arao Town 荒尾 in 1919; then in 1942 it combined with other villages to become Arano City 荒尾. So the photo was taken between 1 May 1919 ~ 1 April 1945.
    • 1919年5月1日 荒尾村が町制施行。荒尾町となる。
    • 1942年4月1日 荒尾町・有明村・平井村・八幡村・府本村が対等合併し市制施行。荒尾市が発足。

source

--Guy

Comment

Guy, thanks much for that information. You had to spend some time gathering the translations, your work is appreciated. Regards.
      PS: There were two more photos that were with this one but there is no writing on them. Not sure if the boy in this one is pictured in the other two; they look more like family gatherings, although there is a youngster dressed in a military manner; perhaps from a school.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X