Katana tang mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana tang mark

I am not familiar with the mark on end of the tang. What is it?

Many thanks!

Gary
    Attached Files

I can find *no* trace of this smith on the internet. Hopefully one of the sword-people will recognize him:

江口眞君
    Eguchi Shinkun

I'm guessing at the given name ... "Shinkun" is the normal, everyday use; maybe as an artist he pronounced it differently. There are other readings for those two kanji:

眞 [new kanji: 真]: しん shin, さな sana、 さね sane、 ただ tada、 ただし tadashi、 なお nao、 のり nori、 まあ ma、 まこ mako、 まさ masa、 まっ Mat..、 まど mado、 まな mana、 まゆ mayu、 みち michi、 and も mo.

: きみ kimi, み mi, and くん kun

There could be other obscure readings as well! Anyway, it's a fools errand to try to guess an art name if you don't know how it's already pronounced.

The stamp at the bottom is what's called in English by collectors a "hot stamp" and in Japanese "jitsu-in" [jeetsu-een].
    I think it would be oriented properly if the image were rotated 90ยบ to the left so that the butt is pointing left.

What I can make out on that is only two kanji, the first and last are beyond my craft:
    *林印*
    *Hayashi/Rin In*
    *Hayashi/Rin Seal*

The kanji for seal, , is oriented sideways ... but this is generally how it's done on seals; don't ask me why because I don't know ... maybe because artistically it looks better. I've seen other kanji with the parts swapped around on seals, but this one is so frequent, you'd think it was the correct orientation.

Compare with bottom left kanji on these two seals:

Sure wish Nick Komiya were here so he could give us his expert opinion on the seal.

Cheers,
    --Guy
    Last edited by GHP; 12-29-2017, 11:50 PM. Reason: English grammar correction

Comment

Many thanks Guy, it is a big help. What is the purpose of the seal? Would it be considered a military type acceptance mark?

Comment

Arrggghhh!!!

I called the "hot stamp" a jitsu'in .... stupid me!!!! Jitsu'in are the registered seals you use at the bank, etc. I should have written "kokuin".

Kokuin sometimes had the craftsman's name, other times a shop name. Koku'in are not the arsenal/acceptance stamps like the "Showa" stamp.

--Guy

Comment

This looks like a chinese copy
          Nakago is very crude
          Mei is terrible
          May we see the rest of the sword?

Comment

Sure. I doubt it's a fake, i do think it has had a hard life however.

Originally posted by nickn View Post
            This looks like a chinese copy
            Nakago is very crude
            Mei is terrible
            May we see the rest of the sword?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gary cain View Post
              sure. I doubt it's a fake, i do think it has had a hard life however.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Cain View Post
                ARRRGGGGGggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

Fake Chinese copy!!!! No wonder I couldn't place the smith!

Gary, there are no serial numbers on Japanese gunto habaki [blade collar] ... ever!

I have seen top-quality blades with an inscription on the habaki, but those were imperial gifts.

No numbers.

Sheesh.

NickN: Thanks for the heads-up with regard to the signature.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                  ARRRGGGGGggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

Fake Chinese copy!!!! No wonder I couldn't place the smith!

Gary, there are no serial numbers on Japanese gunto habaki [blade collar] ... ever!

I have seen top-quality blades with an inscription on the habaki, but those were imperial gifts.

No numbers.

Sheesh.

NickN: Thanks for the heads-up with regard to the signature.

--Guy

Really! Damn, I had no idea they were faking these things. They are so cheap I never figured they would do that.

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post

I wouldn't say ever, I have seen them on NCR marked blades, but I suppose ever is pretty close with the scant number of NCRs out there.

Tom

Comment

This is a good fake. If the forgers didn't put any name or seal, and that stupid serial number, it would fool a great deal of people.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
                        I wouldn't say ever, I have seen them on NCR marked blades, but I suppose ever is pretty close with the scant number of NCRs out there.

Tom
                        Thanks Tom, I was not aware of that fact. The only engraved habaki I've seen (images, not in person) were those presented by the Emperor.

Source with more pictures.

--Guy

Comment

Deleted -- double post
                          Last edited by GHP; 12-31-2017, 01:21 AM. Reason: redundant

Comment

Hiya, by "NCR marked blade" do you mean the Minatogawa shrine produced swords?

Comment

Originally posted by Sengoku View Post
                              Hiya, by "NCR marked blade" do you mean the Minatogawa shrine produced swords?
                              I have seen a lot of gunto over the years and never encountered a serial numbered habaki. The Minatagawa Jinja swords should only bear the jinga kikusui mon.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X