Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Naval Flag?

Hi guys,

I have this Japanese WWII flag (Which I believe to be Naval). Comparing it to other rising sun flags, this one is slightly different.

Just wondering if I had something special or not a naval flag at all.

Thanks all for the help!

William
    Attached Files

If you would like more photos, just let me know!

Thanks again!
    Attached Files

Comment

Admiral rank flag ...

Originally posted by bsrmilitaria View Post
      Hi guys,
      I have this Japanese WWII flag (Which I believe to be Naval).
      Comparing it to other rising sun flags, this one is slightly different.
      Just wondering if I had something special or not a naval flag at all.
      Thanks all for the help!
      William
      Admiral rank flag.
      OFW
      sigpic
      .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Great flag!!!!!

Comment

Just the information I was looking for! Thank you very much!

Comment

Congratulations William! Just one of the many fine pieces in your collection!
            Ran

Comment

Originally posted by R. X. View Post
              Congratulations William! Just one of the many fine pieces in your collection!
              Ran
              Thanks Ran!

Comment

Sorry but its not actually a flag at all - it's a banner. IJN flags always have a rectangular profile with the long side being exactly 1.5X the short side. This is a square and the ties are meant to for hanging vertically - not horizontally like a flag.

In addition, it actually was originally an old meatball banner that later on someone has sewn rays on top of. That is why the center is so sun faded and the ray pieces are bright and a different fad and wear pattern. Normal IJN hand sewn flags are never constructed that way - they are always individual pieces that have a slight overlap to the adjacent cut out piece and conserve material usage. Could be a field improvised item or a postwar add-on to dramatically increase its collector value.

Best way to tell is to illuminate the banner with a UV light and see what glows. If threads securing the rays glow it's a postwar add on. If nothing glows then it could be a field expediency/improvisation to a banner - but it's NOT an admiral's Flag.
                Last edited by beretta1934; 12-20-2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
                  Sorry but its not actually a flag at all - it's a banner. IJN flags always have a rectangular profile with the long side being exactly 1.5X the short side. This is a square and the ties are meant to for hanging vertically - not horizontally like a flag.

In addition, it actually was originally an old meatball banner that later on someone has sewn rays on top of. That is why the center is so sun faded and the ray pieces are bright and a different fad and wear pattern. Normal IJN hand sewn flags are never constructed that way - they are always individual pieces that have a slight overlap to the adjacent cut out piece and conserve material usage. Could be a field improvised item or a postwar add-on to dramatically increase its collector value.

Best way to tell is to illuminate the banner with a UV light and see what glows. If threads securing the rays glow it's a postwar add on. If nothing glows then it could be a field expediency/improvisation to a banner - but it's NOT an admiral's Flag.
                  Hello and thank you for the input. I have attached some photos of the flag under UV light which shows no signs of post war tread. In the photos I also added a piece of paper in comparison over the flag to show the difference in glow.

Thanks for the help!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bsrmilitaria View Post
                    Hello and thank you for the input. I have attached some photos of the flag under UV light which shows no signs of post war tread. In the photos I also added a piece of paper in comparison over the flag to show the difference in glow.

Thanks for the help!
                    Glad to hear that! Have never seen such an improvisation before but now I feel very confident it is a wartime item. Wish this thing could tell us its story!!! Kinda cool item!

Have a Merry Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
                      Glad to hear that! Have never seen such an improvisation before but now I feel very confident it is a wartime item. Wish this thing could tell us its story!!! Kinda cool item!

Have a Merry Christmas
                      Same here! Merry Christmas to you too!

Comment

There was used diffrent red colored fabric ? Homemade for kids play?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X