Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
    Gregory,
    These numbers are usually painted on. From the picture it actually looks like glue! If you say it’s something permanently imprinted in the metal, it’s unusual and I️ really haven’t seen anything like that.
    I thought it looked like a thicker viscosity lacquer; I've seen that once in a while.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory1 View Post
      Maybe this will help.

https://imgur.com/RFMXPGJ
      Ha! Yes that helped! I have seen numerous nakago stamped like this, now that I see what you mean. I honestly don’t know if it is assembly markings, which would be confirmed if the same number was on the seppa and tsuba. But I’m wondering if the swordsmith himself is marking his count. They had quotas to fill and maybe it was a way to keep track. Just speculation though.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
        Ha! Yes that helped! I have seen numerous nakago stamped like this, now that I see what you mean. I honestly don’t know if it is assembly markings, which would be confirmed if the same number was on the seppa and tsuba. But I’m wondering if the swordsmith himself is marking his count. They had quotas to fill and maybe it was a way to keep track. Just speculation though.
        Again, thank you all so much. Greatly appreciate it. I will file the mystery "80" in the category. If I see it again in the future, at least I can say I have seen it before. -Greg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X