original or post ww2 flag? help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

original or post ww2 flag? help!

Hello, I have this flag, I can't understand if it's post ww2 or it's original ww2 flag, one guy translate me the writings on it and it says: From above left
    祈武運長久 praying for continued luck in the fortunes of war 昭和 五年 五日Shōwa 5th year (1940) May 興亞奉公日 (an art of 'Patriot Day' of United States, the first day of every month. So it is May 1st). and 堐尾義根 full name of the writer.

I have recently had some positive opinions, the corners are very old, the only one thing that it's strange is that it's signed by only one person

Comment

Originally posted by gravitwa View Post
      I have recently had some positive opinions, the corners are very old, the only one thing that it's strange is that it's signed by only one person
      The translations are correct.... the holiday mentioned, 興亜奉公日, would be the "Asian Development Public Service Day" that was established in 1939 and abolished in 1942 when it was combined with 大詔奉戴日 "Imperial Rescript Day" to be celebrated every year on 8 August.

--Guy

Comment

Nice info ... thanks !!!

Originally posted by GHP View Post
        The translations are correct.... the holiday mentioned,
        興亜奉公日, would be the "Asian Development Public
        Service Day" that was established in 1939 and abolished
        in 1942 when it was combined with 大詔奉戴日 "Imperial
        Rescript Day" to be celebrated every year on 8 August.
        --Guy
        Hello Guy:
        Very nice date info, thanks for posting that.
        I especially like the unique reinforce stitched
        corner triangle supports.
        OFW
        (below) Photos repeated on WAF server.
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post
          Hello Guy:
          Very nice date info, thanks for posting that. ...
          Thanks OWF. I'm not a native-speaker, so there is probably a better translation of the holiday names ... but I think I'm somewhere in the ballpark. Whenever I search these sorts of names, often the returned results are all in Japanese ... so a bit of Google-Translate polished up with corrected grammar, word order, etc., gives one a reasonable idea of was written.

--Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X