Clear All

Shin Gunto, Japanese Sword, WW II

hi
    thank you to identify and estimate this short gunto
    blade unsigned
    cordially
    ced

CED,

These are not my area of expertice, but it's clearly a wakizashi in length. By the look of the patina on the nakago (tang) it's probably older that WWII, but not much ... say 1800's. I could be wrong on the age, though. Nakago has an odd shape, like it was cut down from something larger at one point.

Hopefully one of the experts will chime in soon!

Comment

hi
      thank's
      cordially
      ced

Comment

I think it's a "bitser" and nothing wrong with that if you paid a bitser (put together from parts) price.
        Evidently rebound, the braid (ito) is irregular and the end knot not of the best. The menuki under the ito are upside down, the curve is meant to follow that of the hilt. I don't like the nakago (tang) it looks poorly shaped and rougher than you normally see..... My guess is a broken blade with a new nakago roughly forged to fit it to the hilt.
        Low end of the scale. Are you buying, selling or insuring the piece?

Comment

Looks heavily cleaned/buffed and cut down blade perhaps was broken like Sengoku suggested. I'd think realistically maybe a few hundred dollars, or Ebay auction and cross your fingers...

Comment

hi
            thank's
            the seller want 680$
            i think it's to much expensive
            cordially
            ced

Comment

$680 is in the ballpark for a much better sword. Walk away from this one.

Comment

Originally posted by CED13000 View Post
                hi
                thank's
                the seller want 680$
                i think it's to much expensive
                cordially
                ced

The piece is in relic condition. The blade nakago has been butchered . It is not worth even 1'3 of his asking price. This is not a collectable item.

Comment

thank's
                  cordially
                  ced

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
                    The piece is in relic condition. The blade nakago has been butchered . It is not worth even 1'3 of his asking price. This is not a collectable item.
                    great for a painful seppuku and then die 3 days later from tetanus !

Comment

Originally posted by Luis22 View Post
                      great for a painful seppuku and then die 3 days later from tetanus !
                      If you want a painful Seppuku, you use a bamboo blade - like in the 1962 movie of the same name. You don't want something in the middle ground that can't do good nor bad.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X