Japanese Scroll Painting Inscription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Scroll Painting Inscription

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for any help. I have recently picked up a scroll painting out of a WW2 USN Veteran Estate and am looking for help with this inscription. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again!
    Attached Files

1947 then the artist's name.

一九四七年悲鴻寫

Seal:
    悲鴻之書

I don't know how to read it, but I found another of his/her paintings -- or at least using the same kanji:

...I think!
    Last edited by GHP; 11-09-2017, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Artist: Xu Beihong

Wiki article on Xu Beihong

He's known for his galloping horse paintings. I see in your image the bottom part of a hoof.

Here's another where he used the same seal that is on your painting:

Xu Beihong 徐悲鴻
      1895 - 1953

Dated 1947
      Ink on paper
      H. 93,3 cm ; L. 52,3 cm
      M.C. 8700

Inscription and signature 款識:卅六年大暑。悲鴻寫。
      Seal of painter 印:悲鴻之畫(朱文)

In Chinese tradition, horse paintings make up an entire genre, illustrated throughout the dynasties by major artists. The representation of this theme, anchored in tradition as the herald of realism, illustrates the conceptions of Xu Beihong on the reform of Chinese painting. This technical work, drawn in ink on paper, follows the legacy of traditional painting. However, the angle of representation of the horse and the representation of its movement show an understanding of space and of the science of decomposition of movement that betrays his knowledge of the techniques of Western creation. If the painter broke the pattern of this motif, using his skill to put the horse in the space, he relies on the shades of ink and the energy of the brush strokes to express energy.

Paintings of galloping horses are emblematic of the production of Xu Beihong. In a self-portrait in charcoal in 1922, the young Xu Beihong was represented in front of a group of leaping horses. Among the numerous historical compositions dated from the early ‘30s, the theme of Jiu Fanggao is also an excuse for the representation of many horses in a variety of positions. From the late ‘30s, the horse became a pervasive theme. Sometimes presented in a natural setting, they are most often depicted alone on a single blank page. This type of layout exacerbates the energetic character of the animal, which was often considered a symbol of the nation, both during war and at the time of the founding of the People’s Republic.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so very much! You are correct! It is a galloping horse! A powerful piece for sure. I appreciate the time and effort and i owe you both one!

Sincerely,

Jeremiah

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X