Translation request on modern patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translation request on modern patch

I know it's know it's not Japanese WWII but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the Japanese on this patch. This is from a 2015 US Air Guard deployment to Kadena. The word "Bunji" has me stumped (as does the kanji below the Samurai Badger).
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Eric
    Attached Files

武器
    weapon

武器: any military weapon: bayonet, pistol, canon, rifle, air craft -- they all are "buki."

Here's the dictionary definition:
    武器 【ぶき buki】 (n) (1) weapon; arms; ordnance; (2) weapon (something used to gain an advantage); asset.

As for the romanized "bunji" on the tab -- I have no idea. "~bun" is pronounced "boon", not like a breakfast "bun." We need some kanji to be certain. Perhaps they meant 文治 (bunji) "civil administration?"

文治 【Bunchi; Bunji】 (n) (1) civil administration; (2) (Bunji only) Bunji era (1185.8.14 - 1190.4.11)

文治主義 【Bunji Shugi; Bunchi Shugi】 (n) governing by law and reason rather than by military force

--Guy
    Last edited by GHP; 11-03-2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks Guy!
      I wasn't thinking along the lines of a weapon but it looks good and is generic enough that it could be used on other unit deployment patches to Japan.

My first thought was Bunji had something to do with a badger (the animal in the helmet) or some kind of Japanese rodent but a google search came up with nothing other than what you mentioned. Probably a case of someone misusing a Japanese word because "it sounds neat."

Eric
      Last edited by blinky; 11-03-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Ha! The animal on the patch is a Wisconsin wolverine .... but I guess it is made in Japan and they portray it more like a Japanese badger (racoon dog) "tanuki". Very cute! Not vicious like the wolverine.

--Guy

Comment

You might have to track down a member of that unit for an explanation. I remember seeing a lot of different unit patches being sold at the ISAF base in Afghanistan while I was there -- several had me scratching my head.

Tom

Comment

Guy, you've committed and unforgivable sin.....Michigan is home of the Wolverines, Wisconsin is home of the Badgers
            The tanuki in the helmet is perfect. The squadron patch features a badger and I thought maybe this was just a cuter, more "Japanese" idea of a badger but it's spot on for the Japanese badger. It would have made a lot more sense if the patch read "Samurai Tanuki."

And Tom, that's my next step and I don't know why I didn't think of it first....not enough sleep maybe I'll keep everyone posted on what I find out

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions, I appreciate it!

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
              Guy, you've committed and unforgivable sin.....Michigan is home of the Wolverines, Wisconsin is home of the Badgers
              Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Blinky non sum dignus, ut intres sub tectum meum: sed tantum dic verbo et cervisiam siceram bibant nos.

(just a slight change in the Latin .....)

(^__^)

Comment

All is forgiven Guy!
                I just got into contact with the guy who designed the patch and all mysteries will shortly be solved.

Eric

Comment

The mystery Japanese word "Bunji".......actually isn't Japanese......it's the name of the dog which is the units mascot
                  Attached Files

Comment

Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
                      The mystery Japanese word "Bunji".......actually isn't Japanese......it's the name of the dog which is the units mascot
                      I'd be unhappy as well were I a dog and looked like that!

--Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X