Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer's tang translation

Hi all,

I picked up a non-traditional made sword last week. I typically avoid them but the blade on this is free of pits and molestation which is very hard for me to find locally. Most swords are cleaned up, pits, or rust. Anyways, despite whining I was curious if anyone would be able to translate? Even though it's a common sword I'm still curious to know. I will work on getting more pics overall tommorow, always a pain for me to photograph a blade.
    Attached Files

A tease
    Attached Files

Comment

The date is November 1943, but I'm no good at smith names. Guy will see this soon and give that to you. Nice find! It's not often I see a Type 98 with the Nagoya mark.

Comment

兼宗
        Kanemune

First Kanemune on p. 145. You need to scroll down one page here.

Civilian name Fukamoto Koichi 福本小市
        Born 14 Oct 1902
        Adopted son-in-law of Fukumoto Amahide 天秀
        Died 8 March 1977

Nihonto Club shows his Hawley rating as 8, same as his father.

Since I have no idea what Mr. Hawley's rating scheme means I just did a cursory google search and found a post by George Trotter at this Militaria.co.za link:
        Originally posted by George Trotter
        Hawley is a valuable tool to the collector as it is compiled from a number of Japanese references and is a quick look-up book that allows you to then check more detail in Japanese sources. The ratings system is arbitrary in that it just gives a "sense" of the standing of smiths...8 points been the starting point used for the (then) emerging smiths of post WWII...rising for a number of reasons to national treasure at 300? points One Japanese source uses a similar ranking based on "yen value".
        As has also been said many times, Hawley contains double listings and some erronious listings. That is why other sources should be consulted also. Also, it is good as a quick reference to many smiths not covered in the more "up-market" works and should be regarded as a pretty good starting point reference IMHO.

--Guy
        Last edited by GHP; 10-31-2017, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
          兼宗
          Kanemune

First Kanemune on p. 145. You need to scroll down one page here.

Civilian name Fukamoto Koichi 福本小市
          Born 14 Oct 1902
          Adopted son-in-law of Fukumoto Amahide 天秀
          Died 8 March 1977

Nihonto Club shows his Hawley rating as 8, same as his father.

Since I have no idea what Mr. Hawley's rating scheme means I just did a cursory google search and found a post by George Trotter at this Militaria.co.za link:

--Guy

Thank you both very much, and thank you for the link as wel Guy. Finally some pics. Scabbard has all paint and dent free. The gold gilt on metal fittings is mostly gone. Blade is excellent with vibrant hammon. Again for a machine made sword I am very happy with it.
          Attached Files

Comment

More
            Attached Files

Comment

Some more
              Attached Files

Comment

Dhdj
                Attached Files

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

really nice!

Comment

I wonder - is that a late war tassel (all brown)? If so, I wonder if it was original? Now that I'm thinking out loud, anyone know when the late-war tassel was introduced?

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                        I wonder - is that a late war tassel (all brown)? If so, I wonder if it was original? Now that I'm thinking out loud, anyone know when the late-war tassel was introduced?
                        There's blue as well, not noticeable in the dark picture. Sorry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X