white cotton Japanese tunic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white cotton Japanese tunic question

I looked at a collection today and there was a white cotton tunic or shirt with concealed buttons a stand up collar and no pockets. Is this something like the German work tunic? or something else?

Like this?

If so, it is the military sports/physical training uniform. It might also have been worn for stable call/fatigue duty, but I'm not certain. I do know from first-hand experience the Japanese Self-Defense Force still wore it (1990-1994) -- for exercise and sports ... they were playing soft ball when I watched. When I watched their jukendo training (using the short "M-16" sized wooden rifle), they wore the olive drab fatigue duty-uniform; I think the whites were worn during competition.

WWII

It is also worn in civilian jukendo [bayonet] training clubs and some practicioners of Toyama Ryu battodo wear it.

I bought my uniform in 1992 at the Ground Self-Defense Force Intelligence Academy when I was a guest instructor for a week.

--Guy

Comment

here's some pictures

this looks old and pre 1945.
      Attached Files

Comment

here's some pictures

this looks old and pre 1945.

Comment

Yes, it is a physical training uniform dated 1945 issued to Takeuchi of the 6th Company; issued from the Osaka Depot.

昭和十八年
          Showa 18th Year [1945]

第六中隊
          Dai Roku Chuutai [6th Company]

竹内 留吉
          Takeuchi Tomekichi

This style uniform is still in service -- at least to my direct knowledge until 1990-1994; probably still in use today.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks. Mystery solved.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X