X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Sword

Mystery Sword

Greetings,
    Although I have done fairly well with German Militaria, I know nothing about Eastern items. I acquired this sword on Ebay. I believe it is Chinese made (that is where it came from), but I wonder if very recently (last few years) or older? The seller was vague. Fortunately I enjoy it. I wonder what the writings say (I suspect on the obverse “A fool and his money soon parted” and the reverse ”All that glitters is not gold”).
    I realize the forum does not pursue expertise on swords other than Japanese, but I thought you might have an idea.
    Thank you and best regards,
    Chris
    Aka Egret
    Attached Files

Obverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
      Attached Files

Comment

This Is Definitely Not A Japanese Sword-only A Copy Of One. The Chinese Have Been Selling Reproduction Japanese Swords On Ebay Now For Some Time. Neither The Blade Construction Or Carving Are Even Close To The Qualtiy Of A True Japanese Samurai Sword.

Bob

Comment

(not so) Mystery Sword

Hello Bob,
          Is this a recent phenomenon? Although the seller didn’t specifically say when it was made, the implication was that this sword was wartime production. The seller used the same description text for several swords. It looks old, but even I am familiar with a multitude of tricks for aging reproductions. I have no intention of trying to return it (which I suspect would be impossible). It wasn’t expensive (well under $100 including shipping), and I kind of like it. Of course I have never held a real one.
          Thank you for your help,
          Chris
          aka Egret
          Last edited by Egret; 03-19-2005, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Chris-
            The Making Of Modern Reproduction Japanese Swords In China Is A Fairly New Phenomena As Far As I Know. However, During The Second World War, It Was Not Uncommon For Native Peoples To Make Fake Japaqnese Swords To Sell The The Us Navy Personel. They Especially Would Only Know The Basics About The Look Of A Samurai Sword As They Were Usually Ship Bound And Did Not Have The Availability Of Field Obtained Souvenirs. I Once Had A Fellow Show Me What He Thought Was A Japanese Sword. I Said, "i Bet You Were In The Navy And Bought This In The Philipines." It Was A Poor Imitation Of A Japanese Samurai Sword That Was Monted With A Erll Woven Rataan Handle And Scabbard, Very Typical Of Philipine Native Knife Work. He Looked At Me And Told Me He Bought It In Manila. I Had To Break The News To Him That He Did Not Have A Treasure But Only A Curio. In Conclusion, The Chinese Are Only Carrying On An Old Tradition.;
            Bob

Comment

Greetings,

I attach the text of the seller’s item description. It does not state country of origin, but states they are old (WWII). I post it in case a future researcher might match a phrase from this “pitch”.

Here is the text of the 2004 seller’s description.

“These are superb weapons. They were used in the Second World War. You will find these military swords were skillfully made. These are combat weapons, yet very elegant. If you keep this item in your home it can help you avoid evil, it will bring you good fortune, enhance your well being and security.

Some Japanese soldiers took their family swords to battle with them, in very much the same way the shogun did hundreds of years before. Many families had swords made for their warrior sons. If a soldier did not have a family sword or did not want to take it, the government would provide him with a machine made sword. These swords are not Government Issue. Most were made just before or during World War Two. When the Japanese army was driven out of China in 1945, thousand of military swords were captured or left behind. These weapons hold an almost magical aura about them. The warrior tradition remained fairly untouched even through WWII, when the soldier carried the sword to battle just like his Samurai ancestors had many years before.”

Thank you for your help,
              Chris
              aka Egret
              Last edited by Egret; 03-19-2005, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Chris-
                As You Will Notice, The Description Is Long On Verbage And Non Existant With Regards To Particulars Of This Sword. This Piece Is Made To Fool And Decieve The Novice. It Would Never Fool A Person With Basic Knowledge About Japanese Swords. If You Wish To Buy A Curio, That Is All It Is. However As A Collectable Or An Investment, Stay Clear.
                Bob

Comment

Bob,

Thank you for your help.
                  Regards,
                  Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X