Clear All

One More.
    Attached Files

Comment

!
      Last edited by ottodog8; 08-24-2017, 07:23 AM. Reason: Wrong quote

Comment

Good grief.

You need to immediately stop buying since you've out of room.

Leave the rest to us.

Should Helmetbuyer change his name to Swordbuyer?
        ------------------------------------------------
        Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

I love Steve and Guy's proposals as they are the proper way of displaying/storing multiple swords in one go!

I've seen people display blades tip down for long term but its bad for the blade as moisture and such tend to dribble down and stay there. I've handled and owned a few that had their kissaki rusted due to it from months or years of such storage, so definitely good to check on it until you get the stands!

Happy Hunting,
          Lev

Comment

Originally posted by helmetbuyers View Post
            Hello forum..

I have a bunch of swords... and just don't know how to display them? I essentially put them in a corner, and stack them against each other.

Daggers are easier to display. Just put a nail in the wall.

I have about 30 samurai swords including those short ones that I can never spell or say correctly.

When I get a sword... I never take them apart... since I don't care what they say or not. I have seen so many damaged swords from people taking them apart to see what if anything is on the tang.

Thanks Robert

FYI

the only thing not real is the MP40. That's one of those 68 MCG movie prop guns.

If you look in one photo, you will see a named Civil War Generals sword... with a photo of the General wearing it.
            wow!!! nice collection! ...but sorry to say ..civil war GENERALS sword needs to be destroyed .. EC

Comment

Originally posted by mrec27777 View Post
              wow!!! nice collection! ...but sorry to say ..civil war GENERALS sword needs to be destroyed .. EC
              ONLY if they were owned by slave owners.

sheesh.

Oh yes .... before I forget ........ [ /sarcasm]

Comment

I have a ton of stuff I don't even take out. Usually when a militaria collector comes over I just show him 20-30 of my most coveted items. If they want to start comparing the size of their yoohoo, then I go ahead and start pulling out the rest of what I have accrued. It's fun to catch people off guard.

Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by whatthecrunchyo View Post
                  I have a ton of stuff I don't even take out. Usually when a militaria collector comes over I just show him 20-30 of my most coveted items. If they want to start comparing the size of their yoohoo, then I go ahead and start pulling out the rest of what I have accrued. It's fun to catch people off guard.

Jordan
                  Thanks guys for the comments...

I only had a few collectors over.

I personally hate Japanese sword collectors. Everything is junk till they get it. They also want to take everything apart, measure the blades, and want to take it outside in the sun light, etc. etc.

I had one guy over about two years ago. I had stuff I wanted to sell. Various bayonets, swords, and gear. Not much in terms of Japanese stuff.

After about a painful hour of haggling.... we came up with a price. It was around $2500 for the stuff he wanted.

He then says he wants to see my collection again. I unlock my war room and he picks up a samurai sword.

He says: "How much for this sword?" I said it's "not for sale."

He says... "you only want to sell me your crap." He then says... I will pass on the stuff he haggled for an hour.

I was ticked, and said... "Ok, what would you offer?" He said: $1400. I said no... but thought.. "dang... $1400 sounded fair."

He then says... okay... $1500. I said... "If I do sell it, I will give you first refusal."

He then says: "Throw a number at me." I said.. "Ok... $3500" (as a joke).

He says: "ok... I will take it."

Now I wonder what the heck was it worth if he went up so fast and twisted my arm to sell.

Robert

Comment

I personally hate Japanese sword collectors. Everything is junk till they get it. They also want to take everything apart, measure the blades, and want to take it outside in the sun light, etc. etc.
                    I'm sure you already knew it. That's how the Japanese swords are examined, due to the nature of the blade construction, heat treatment, the location of the markings, etc. However, good indoor lighting is suffice.

Your Japanese sword buyer must have found something in that sword. I don't think he's stupid, if he was able to haggle with you over an hour. At least that shows he's got certain level of intelligence.

Now it's water under the bridge. The chances of finding the secrets in that sword are slim to nil. Unless you have pictures or something. But, you still have many other Japanese swords. I'll be more than happy to see them out of their scabbards. After all, the Japanese swords are more than the scabbards. The value is in the steel blades.
                    Last edited by oldhonda; 08-25-2017, 01:50 AM.

Comment

I had one guy over about two years ago. I had stuff I wanted to sell. Various bayonets, swords, and gear. Not much in terms of Japanese stuff.

After about a painful hour of haggling.... we came up with a price. It was around $2500 for the stuff he wanted.

He then says he wants to see my collection again. I unlock my war room and he picks up a samurai sword.

He says... "you only want to sell me your crap." He then says... I will pass on the stuff he haggled for an hour.

I was ticked, and said... "Ok, what would you offer?" He said: $1400. I said no... but thought.. "dang... $1400 sounded fair."

He then says... okay... $1500. I said... "If I do sell it, I will give you first refusal."

Now I wonder what the heck was it worth if he went up so fast and twisted my arm to sell.

Robert
                      Robert,
                      I understand not having people over. I moistly do it because of you never know who else they will tell what you have. And about Japanese swords there is collectors and also dealers. Some guys just enjoy the blades and they like talking about them but the other people are all about what they are worth. I got burned few times by Japanese sword collectors/dealers when I was just starting and did not know enough about them. So now I try to find out what is the item before I even think about selling it or taking the offer.
                      Beautiful collection you have.
                      Also thank you guys for showing how you display your collections. That is some impressive collection of the blades.

Comment

Robert
                        I can't blame you! When I was stationed in Virginia, I had a collector come over to take a look at some stuff. When he asked if I had anything else, I told him all I had was my personal collection that included a ShinShinto blade that was a possible gimei Nobuhide that wasn't for sale. He said he'd still like to see it and I obliged. He then began to touch the blade, looking it over and asked how much. When I reiterated that it wasn't for sale, he slammed it back in the shirasaya and dropped it to the table, saying "Thanks anyways." Some really are childish but I hear you. A lot of that study and collect the art want to see it passed on, but a lot, like anything else is just dollar signs and try to pass some blades with false information.

I only have one blade at the moment that I've sent for evaluation this week that is a possible Muromachi Uda school in traditional koshirae with the leather cover for usage in WWII. I traded for it at a militaria show because it is what I've been looking for for a long time. A lot of dealers passed it up because nothing could be seen and they thought it was a junk blade. It is in rough shape, but with oil and some uchiko, a nice mokume hada and midareba is seen and I deactivated any lemon juice used, I hope. Has a damaged kissaki that hopefully still has a good boshi.

But as noted, we know how some collectors and dealers are. I do buy and sell, but give accurate information that hasnt always worked out in my favor, but least it won't screw a family member over if they intend to keep and cherish it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X