No announcement yet.

Japanese Bayonet with Arm Bone as grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting, but more likely a British bayonet, which the Japanese captured and used.

Comment

Everybody is dropping the word "Japanese". However, which part of this knife is Japanese? Even the alleged arm bone, which could be anyone's.

I think the only reason it being "Japanese" was that the seller thought it was made from a Japanese bayonet. That's entirely incorrect. The rest of the story could be anyone's creation.

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
        It would have been just as easy to say "it's not a Japanese blade, perhaps it's British. Considering the Australians and US fought together in the Pacific it could have been a souvenir from an Army veteran in New Guinea?"
        I said it's not a Japanese blade in the first reply. And, why do I have to believe the seller's story? The knife could be from Afghanistan, Iraq, where British weapons still found, or made in Louisiana, or anywhere just as well.

Comment

It just occurred to me that British blade, human bone, S guard, it could be a WW1 theater made knife just as well.

Comment

Every body is wrong!!!!! Without provenance no one will ever know. Heck, my little sister could have made this from a cadaver bone from a medical student supply store and some old blade she bought at a surplus store. End of story...next!

Comment

Thanks

Thank you all for helping me with this, I just repeated what was told to me when I got it, Did not mean to offend with the post. Thank you all for your time.

Comment

No offense taken. I only tell what I saw, and I don't read between the lines. Does the knife come with a sheath? Or other clues?

Like I said earlier, the former owner thought it was made from a Japanese bayonet. Turned out it is a British bayonet. Now the story has to make some changes. I'll stick with the WWI, since the WWI is all the rage these days, although I like the Afghanistan story too. The neat thing is they all stick. So no need to go to New Guinea.

Comment

My money would be with a US Marine theater made knife using a Japanese arm bone and the blade of a captured British P1907 bayonet.

Comment

Originally posted by DALE ELLIS View Post
                    My money would be with a US Marine theater made knife using a Japanese arm bone and the blade of a captured British P1907 bayonet.
                    Could you elaborate on who captured the British bayonet? Using the word capture, it was the Japanese? If the knife was made by a US Marine, the American recaptured the British bayonet from the Japanese. Am I following you?

That's all good. Which part of the knife is looked like a US Marine had his hands on? That's where I'm not convinced, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by oldhonda View Post
                      I said it's not a Japanese blade in the first reply. And, why do I have to believe the seller's story? The knife could be from Afghanistan, Iraq, where British weapons still found, or made in Louisiana, or anywhere just as well.

He's not selling it.
                      I thought you didn't read between the lines

Comment

He's not selling it.
                        I thought you didn't read between the lines
                        Who say OP is selling? You assumed too much. Laugh all you want. But learn using your head.

Last thing to you. I don't read between lines, but I can add 2 and 2 together.

Comment

It's getting old. The problem I see here is most of you bought the seller's story wholesale. I guess the fun part for me in it is to burst the bubbles.

The previous owner told OP that " is a Japanese bayonet blade and was brought home by a Marine after the war. " That's direct quote.

By now we all know it's not a Japanese bayonet blade, but British. The other part of the story is the Marine brought it home. But, why the US Marine used a British bayonet blade, when and where plenty of Japanese bayonet blades were available? Especially he had a Japanese bone for the handle? Wouldn't all Japanese be better? I know I would make all Japanese knife under such circumstance. At this point, the story seems fallen apart.

Comment

You clearly stated "why do I have to believe the sellers story." At no point does NB state he was selling nor that he bought the item. He stated he "picked it up."

If you insist on "accuracy" then you should hold yourself to the same standards you seem to demand of others. You may be right, but you don't need to come across as a self-righteous tool about it. You need to lighten up a bit or you'll be the next one in the memorial thread.

By the way, you made the same assumption again: "The problem I see here is most of you bought the seller's story wholesale. I guess the fun part for me in it is to burst the bubbles." Very sloppy.

Comment

You clearly stated "why do I have to believe the sellers story." At no point does NB state he was selling nor that he bought the item. He stated he "picked it up."
                              The "seller" means the previous owner who sold the knife to OP. Which part of it is hard to understand?

"Picked it up" is common phrase used on the internet meaning "bought".

Dude, you don't need me to teach you reading comprehension, because. Just because I don't care to teach you anything. That's the end of it.

Comment

So.. the Swiss Army Knife I bought recently probably wasn't taken from a dead Swiss soldier?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X