what is this ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is this ???

Hi guys, this was found in a box with some WWII stuf allong with a Japanese bayonet. I have no clue if it's even Japanese, the black figures are sewn on and the thing measures appr. 12x12 inches. It kinda looks like a handkerchief.
    Maybe a souvenir?
    Thanks in advance,
    Tino
    Attached Files

Tino,

I have no idea what this could be.

Can the cloth be folded in such a way that some kind of a recognizable design or pattern is formed?

Eric

Comment

Or,maybe like Ogami(folding paper in clever ways)to spell out a word or expression-when properly folded?

Comment

Exactly!

I'm thinking a kanji character(s) may appear if the cloth is folded properly...then again I could be way off too!

Originally posted by J.von Canon
        Or,maybe like Ogami(folding paper in clever ways)to spell out a word or expression-when properly folded?

Comment

Thanks for the response guys!

It's one of those things that make you wonder, the way it was stored made me belief that it was something more special than a hanky. The guy served in the Pacific and had more Japanese items which I missed out on.

The material is also different than what you see Stateside.
          It sound like the Japanese had some tricky stuff up their sleeves.
          Can someone elaberate on the folding paper and the purpose?

Also what kind of personal paperwork would they carry, did they have something simular like a German Wehrpass?

Thanks again guys,
          Tino

Comment

Ogami

Ogami is an art form.
            Books (including instruction manuals) have been written on the subject.
            It involves the folding of paper to create 3 dimensional creations(birds & storks often.)
            There's also the possibility that this might be a Shinto or even Buddhist shawl of some sort too..
            Soldiers of all nations carried religious items of various sorts...

Comment

Tino,

A Japanese soldier typically carried a service handbook which was kind of similar to the German Wehrpass I guess. The Japanese service handbook contained Imperial instructions and other information such as a soldier's personal history, home town, duty station, etc.

There was a thread or two on this very subject (i.e., Japanese service handbooks), but I can not locate them on the forum.

In any case, I hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

Thanks for the additional information guys!

Over time I have been picking up bits and pieces and will concentrate on trying to make a nice Japanese display.

Thanks again,
                Tino

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X