Type 45 tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type 45 tunic

I have recently purchased a tunic that I thought was a type 5, upon checking the stamp inside it says type 45 and seems to be dated Taisho 8th year. It has no insignia but shows the outline for the collar tabs, the original shoulder straps (the part that holds the shoulder insignia on) are missing and have been replaced by cotton, also the belt tab has been removed. It has alloy cleats inside the collar for the false collar, lined inside with what appears to be a light cotton and has the two internal pockets. Any info about this type of tunic would be appreciated.

Steve,

Sounds like you could have a modified Model 45 Tunic. (Depot modified Model 45 tunics would have an additional kanji before the Model 45 designation in the inside of the tunic.) Does your tunic still have the red piping on the cuffs? Mike Hewitt's Uniforms and Equipment of the Imperial Japanese Army in World War II (I hope I have the title right as I am away from my copy of the book) has a write-up and some photos of some Model 45 tunics.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

There is no piping around the cuffs and looks like there never was any. There is another character before the ''45 type'' but I can't identify it. I have checked Mike Hewitts book and there are a couple of contempory photographs of the type 45, they seem to have more rounded buttons, mine has the gold coloured type 5/98 type which seem to be flatter. Thanks for the info.

steve

Comment

Steve,

The kanji before the "45 Type" kanji is more than likely the kanji for modified.

I picked up a similar tunic last month while at the Show of Shows. Signs of the red piping are still present on the cuffs. The tunic (that I picked up) is still packed away, but if I get the chance, I'll dig it out and take a closer look at it.

Hope this helps and welcome for the forum by the way.

Eric

Comment

Thanks for the help, its most appreciated.

steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X