• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese flag help

Hello All:

This is my first post
    I have a battle flag but I cant read the Kanji
    please help me to know names , city or some information about the origin of the flag.
    For the nex time I have anothers Japanese items , helmets and swords

Eduard,

Welcome to the Japanese Militaria Forum.

If you have a photo of the flag, you can send the photo to me at doodyel@aol.com and I will post the photo of the flag on the forum for you.

Eric

Comment

japanese flag help

Thanks I send you by e-mail

Comment

Eduard,

A truck took out the telephone line to my house so I am without a telephone and my home computer, which operates on a modem, for a little bit.

As soon as the telephone company replaces the line, I will access my e-mail and will post the photos of your flag on the forum. (I was told the line could be replaced as early as today or as late as tomorrow evening.)

Sorry for unexpected delay.

Eric

Comment

japanese flag help

Eric

Thanks for your interest

Eduard

Comment

Okay, I'm back in action computer wise and here is a photo of Eduard's flag...
            Attached Files

Comment

Eduard,

Thanks for sharing the photo of your hinomaru (i.e., Japanese National flag) with us.

The four large kanji on the right hand side of the hinomaru, when read from top to bottom, translates to Eternal [Good] Fortunes of War" which is a fairly common phrase that I see often on signed hinomaru. The three large kanji just to the left of the "Eternal [Good} Fortunes of War" slogan translates to "Departure For The Front Wish [or Prayer]" when read from right to left. Continuing along the same line, in a right to left manner, is the name of the person that the flag was presented to (i.e., a Mr. Harazawa). The stylized kanji on this hinomaru is very hard for me to read and thus I was unable to translate Mr. Harazawa's first name. The small kanji on the lower right hand side, just below the "Eternal [Good] Fortunes of War" slogan looks like the flag was presented by the "Magistrate of Shiba Ward." Because of the various surnames of the well wishers that signed the flag, I am of the opinion that the well wishes were from the same town or ward as Mr. Harazawa.

Hope this helps.

Eric

<!-- / message -->

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X