Compass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compass

I need some help determining if this compass is WW2 Japanese. I have checked all my reference books and none show an engineering compass. The paint is very close to the color of Japanese equipment and the top markings appear to to read Type 57. The only markings on the outside of the case appear to be a serial number. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Attached Files

Here is a side shot.
    Attached Files

Comment

Phil,

I owned a similar compass a few years and ago and believe the compass is Chinese and not Japanese. (This is because of the "57th [year] Type" designation and the fact that I saw a similar compass that reportedly came out of Viet-nam.)

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Thanks, I was also thinking that it might be Chinese. I was not sure it read type 57, i will see what I can find out about chinese compasses.

Thanks,
        Phil

It was nice to meet you at the SOS.

Comment

Phil,

Glad I could be of assistance.

When I saw that my brother-in-law had a similar compass that came out of Viet-nam, I decided to part with the compass that I had as I had a feeling that the compass wasn't Japanese.

Perhaps one of the other folks that visit this forum can provide you with some additional information on the compass or perhaps you could post the compass on the Communist Block forum to see what those folks have to say about it.

Eric

PS It was nice meeting you at the Show of Shows as well.

Comment

wonderful item..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X