"What Kind of Person Buys This?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"What Kind of Person Buys This?"

Passed to me by "Uncle Bob" Elder, this is a Japanese TV program called 買っているのはどんな人? Katte Iru No Wa Donna Hito? [What Kind of Person Buys This?]

The link is a "dropbox.com" one, but don't let that deter you. The program is in Japanese .... don't let that minor detail deter you either! (^_^)

It's about the Tampa Sword Show .... ending up in a dojo run by Zen Nippon Toyama Ryu Renmei teacher John Michael Matthews .... who has a nice collection!

Typical TV "talent-commedian" with stupid bowtie. I really wish Japan would get it's act together with regard to these silly interviewers. arrrrggghhhhh.

--Guy

Hi Guy
    Interesting video, lovely collection.
    Thanks for posting
    Frank

Comment

Gotta love the "observer" format on all of those Japanese shows. If I made a nickel for every time I heard "Umai!" and "Oishii!" on their food tasting variety programs, I would have a truckload of nickels!

Tom

Comment

Interesting show. I have not been to the Tampa Show for many years. I did not see one face that looked familiar. The jeweler certainly has a large collection. I was not aware that you knew Bob. I will mention you to him next time we correspond. He teaches iato and is quite accomplished. Studied the art in Japan.

Comment

Very nice collection. There is a lot of closet collections.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
            Interesting show. I have not been to the Tampa Show for many years. I did not see one face that looked familiar. The jeweler certainly has a large collection. I was not aware that you knew Bob. I will mention you to him next time we correspond. He teaches iaido and is quite accomplished. Studied the art in Japan.
            Yes, Bob Elder is good people. He invited me down a few times and I went once. He's an excellent host and he runs an excellent taikai. We both are of the same school, but different dojo; mine was in Yokohama and his was in Machida (which was much closer to where I lived).

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
              Gotta love the "observer" format on all of those Japanese shows. If I made a nickel for every time I heard "Umai!" and "Oishii!" on their food tasting variety programs, I would have a truckload of nickels!

Tom
              Hmmmm .... I thought ALL their programs were food-tasting programs. I heard a quip on "Cool Japan"* that I've stolen:

There are three types of Japanese television programming:
              1. Famous people,
              2. Food,
              3. Famous people eating.

Ain't dat da troof!

* "Cool Japan" has a panel of foreigners living in Japan discussing cultural topics from a foreign perspective. It is very intersting. Here's one specifically on "Television in Japan"
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h-yj553M28

--Guy
              Last edited by GHP; 06-13-2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Nice!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                  Hmmmm .... I thought ALL their programs were food-tasting programs. I heard a quip on "Cool Japan"* that I've stolen:

There are three types of Japanese television programming:
                  1. Famous people,
                  2. Food,
                  3. Famous people eating.

Ain't dat da troof!

* "Cool Japan" has a panel of foreigners living in Japan discussing cultural topics from a foreign perspective. It is very intersting. Here's one specifically on "Television in Japan"
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h-yj553M28

--Guy
                  I watched the linked video and must say I have NEVER seen this show in Japan. My family has Japanese TV on all the time (since we live in Japan), and they flip stations repeatedly, but this has never appeared. Actually, it doesn't look like a real Japanese show at all, not even a 'real' NHK show. It might be something that NHK made for their international markets.

But what Guy said above about the quality of Japanese shows seems spot on. Gawd awful, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
                    I watched the linked video and must say I have NEVER seen this show in Japan. My family has Japanese TV on all the time (since we live in Japan), and they flip stations repeatedly, but this has never appeared. Actually, it doesn't look like a real Japanese show at all, not even a 'real' NHK show. It might be something that NHK made for their international markets.
                    Hi Rich,

How interesting! We get it here in the US via "TV Japan" on the cable; I just assumed that it was shown on regular TV. Perhaps because it does not involve food or eating????

Okay ... wait .... Here you go:
                    Try BS1, Sunday, 6:00~6:44pm
                    https://www6.nhk.or.jp/cooljapan/en/how2watch/

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                      Hi Rich,

How interesting! We get it here in the US via "TV Japan" on the cable; I just assumed that it was shown on regular TV. Perhaps because it does not involve food or eating????

Okay ... wait .... Here you go:
                      Try BS1, Sunday, 6:00~6:44pm
                      https://www6.nhk.or.jp/cooljapan/en/how2watch/

--Guy
                      Oh, I see, it is a satellite station, not broadcast.

Comment

We receive NHK by satellite. They are the same broadcasts as shown in Japan. Right now, we are watching the Friday morning news live on Thursday evening.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X