New Japanese Sword Signature Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Japanese Sword Signature Help Needed

It's been a bit since I have had a new sword in that was signed. Well here's another one that just came in with a nice Menuki set and a horribly cleaned Tsuba.

Any help with the translation and period would be greatly appreciated.

Now that is one cool inscription! I read it as the sword was made to commemorate going off to war during the Japan/China Incident.

Tom

Comment

the swordsmith is Minamoto Masayoshi

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
        Now that is one cool inscription! I read it as the sword was made to commemorate going off to war during the Japan/China Incident.

Tom
        Yes. I can't quite get those two kanji -- but you're right.

源正義
        Minamoto Masayoshi

日支事変出征**之作
        NichiShi Jihen Shussei ** Kore [wo] Saku

--Guy

Comment

Guy,

I read the two kanji as 記念

Granted, some of the strokes don't exactly line up, but IF it is the case -- maybe we should add "making one's mark on a nakago" to "close only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades"? I think it sounds kind of catchy!

Tom

Comment

Thank you all so much for the help so far!

Here are a couple more shots to hopefully help.

Comment

Guy,

I read the two kanji as 記念

Granted, some of the strokes don't exactly line up, but IF it is the case -- maybe we should add "making one's mark on a nakago" to "close only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades"? I think it sounds kind of catchy!

Tom
              Thanks Tom ... I see it now!!

日支事変出征記念之作
              NichiShi Jihen Shussei Kinen Kore [wo] Saku
              Made in Commemoration of Deployment [during the] Japan-China Incident

Comment

I knew I had seen this one recently having previously providing the translation...

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic.../?fromsearch=1

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone! As always I am astounded by the wealth of knowledge here.

After a Google search it looks like he also listed it on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gendaito-WW2...p2047675.l2557

I ended up getting it from Matt for a fraction of the two prices shown. He had an upcoming purchase so my timing was right.

Comment

A very interesting historical inscription.

Comment

How would the inscriber know that the bearer was off to the 'Japan/China Incident' as it was in the future at that time?

Comment

Originally posted by Lampwick View Post
                        How would the inscriber know that the bearer was off to the 'Japan/China Incident' as it was in the future at that time?
                        The sword was probably commissioned after the event. Perhaps as a gift to the one who was deployed?

If the style of engravings were different, I would have thought the sword was carried in China, then the memorial inscribed afterwards; however, the swordmaker's name was engraved by the same hand -- and probably at the same time.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks again eneryone.

Would it be commemorating the Marco Polo Bridge Incident or the Second Sino-Japanese War?

If it was just for the participation in the Bridge incident that started the Second Sino-Japanese War then it would most definitely be from after.

If it was for deployment to Second Sino-Japanese War, that lasted around 8 years, couldn't it have been made prior to a soldiers deployment in the middle of the campaign? Maybe from a father to a son before departure?

Please forgive this last one. It's REALLY far fetched....
                          Maybe this sword was given to Lt. Toshiaki Mukai by Lt. Tsuyoshi Noda for winning the "contest"?

Comment

Originally posted by J. M. C. View Post
                            Thanks again eneryone.

Would it be commemorating the Marco Polo Bridge Incident or the Second Sino-Japanese War?

If it was just for the participation in the Bridge incident that started the Second Sino-Japanese War then it would most definitely be from after.

If it was for deployment to Second Sino-Japanese War, that lasted around 8 years, couldn't it have been made prior to a soldiers deployment in the middle of the campaign? Maybe from a father to a son before departure?

Please forgive this last one. It's REALLY far fetched....
                            Maybe this sword was given to Lt. Toshiaki Mukai by Lt. Tsuyoshi Noda for winning the "contest"?

I would tend to think the latter conflict. Japan pumped a huge amount of men and resources into the war, so it would make sense. The "Japan" kanji in the inscription somewhat surprises me in that I don't recall seeing such a combo of 日支 on commemorative items for this conflict. Usually items like cups, booklets, etc. have the Chinese portion along with incident written out, sans 日. It reminds me of how they marked cups, etc. for the Russo-Japanese war, combining the two kanji like that.

As to the contest you speak of, at the risk of going into a macabre and tragic realm, I would think that such a sword, it such a thing even existed, would have highly detailed information on the nakago concerning the said contest.

Tom

Comment

As to the contest you speak of, at the risk of going into a macabre and tragic realm, I would think that such a sword, it such a thing even existed, would have highly detailed information on the nakago concerning the said contest.

Tom

Hi Tom,
                              The last one about the "contest" was not really meant to be serious. Looking at it now I realize it was not the best example to post even if done tongue in cheek.

For that I apologize.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X