X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys

Comment

Hello guys,
      I was trying to help here, not trying to impose my opinion, so thank you for letting me know it doesn't fit in this case as it let me learns new things.

Sengoku > Thank you for the link, very clear. About the shape of the nakago jiri I thought the smith could give any shape to it when a blade is shortened ? Is there any rule I dont know ? Did they have to keep the shape of the original nakago ?

Gunto > I didn't see anything but the notches to be honest I started m'y thinking from the notches while I should have think about the nakago.

Bob Coleman > My mistake ! I assumed to quick the notches could be battle scars then I figured how they could be on a nakago. In your experience do you think a blade could be shortened enough so what have been a part of the mune became the nakago?

Comment

It would be a very rare situation for a nakago Jiri to be reshaped as was the original before a blade was suriage. It would not have been considered important. Thus that is why we always see just a straight cut.

Comment

If you read further on "usagiya" you will see that there were customary practices for shortening the blade. The simple crop was to a certain extent to let the owner know that his blade was shortened from a longer one. Its a good site, and well worth spending some time on it.

Comment

Thank you very much gentlemen.
            I started to read some topics on the information page of usagiya, it's very handy, easy to read and they have pictures of awesome swords. Quite like taking a tour in a museum exhibition, love it, many thanks again.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X