Amazing WWII sword find help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
    Awesome gunto! I don't see the point of removing the tags ? They spent the last decades on this sword and it looks just fine, why would you take the risk to store them away ? If the gunto is properly displayed I think it is safer to let them chère they are.
    I agree.

Comment

I kinda figuered, I own a Gun store that sells and displays many items from the war, this particular item isn't for sale but I like to show people, didn't want it to get messed up. Thanks for all of your input guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
        Even if it is a genuine Nihonto and could be owned in Japan, who would you send it to. Chance of the original owner being alive at this point is very slim. If he survived the war and married, you are looking at two generations of who knows how many descendants. My brother in law tried to give me a pristeen IJA officer sword with oil tempered blade in Japan. I had to refuse as I did not think I could get it by customs on the way out as all departing sword require paperwork.
        So true. Even more true with the signed war flags since the families themselves are often the ones who got rid of them, not including the ones claimed as war booty. Even those, though, would not be especially prized by most Japanese as they are merely reminders of what most would like to forget. Not only that, but on the chance someone would decide to display such a flag (a highly unlikely if not near impossible event), they would be most certainly labeled as militant right-wing extremists.

Anyway, nice sword.

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
          Slight editing on my translations:

福岡県三潴郡木佐木村侍島
          Fukuoka-ken Mizuma-gun Kisaki-mura Samuraijima
          Fukuoka Prefecture Mizuma County, Kisaki-Village, Samuraijima

Map of Samuraijima [Samurai Island]:

https://goo.gl/maps/UMDzjrgRapH2

Second sword for a possible purchase would you mind translating??

I forgot to say "Kuraki" is a surname:
          久良木 一行
          Kuragi Kazuyuki

Kuragi is the surname; depending on the family, it could be also be pronounced as Kuraki, Kiyūragi, and Kyūragi.
          I just read an etymology of the name and it originates from Kuragi:
          --Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Yamamoto View Post
            Please start a new thread. It's better to keep separate posts so as not to get confused. This one is easy to read; I wouldn't want the comments to get lost with the original post.

Thanks,
            --Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X