Kanji Translation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy Van... View Post
    What does "awataguchi omi no" (kami) translate to? Kami means honorary title if I'm not mistaken but what does the rest mean?
    Let's drill down a bit.

Awataguchi is a placename and surname. Literally it means:

Awataguchi
    Chestnut - rice field - entrance
    ...Awataguchi is one of the seven gates to Kyoto city in Yamashiro province. The school takes its name from this gate as no doubt they were located nearby. They served the Imperial Court which was resident in Kyoto, and the Awataguchi smihs have been hailed for centuries as some of the brightest lights in the world of Japanese swords. Their work represents the very top level of craftsmanship. ...
    source
    FYI, "kuchi/guchi" means both mouth and entryway [入り口 iriguchi] -- now that I found out the school is named after a gate entry way, it makes more sense: The Chestnut Field Gate/Entry.

I was driving myself crazy reading the surname only as 栗田 Kurita -- which *IS* also a surname.

近江
    Ōmi
    Omi Province

Kami
    Dictionary says: "director (of the provincial governors under the ritsuryo system)"
    Generally its meaning is "lord of...." and would be pronounced "...no kami" even though the possessive の "no" is not written:
    近江 [の] 守

Ōmi [no] Kami

Ōmi's Lord ... or translated in dynamic equivalency: "Lord of Omi."

Just to add a bit of confusion ....The kanji is also pronounced "mamoru" -- as in [omamori - charm] and means "protect/protector."
    So Tadatsuna had the honorary title of "Lord of Ōmi."

So the full inscription:
    栗田口近江守忠網
    Awataguchi Ōmi [no] Kami Tadatsuna

Or, in daily English:
    Tadatsuna, [Honorary] Lord of Omi Prefecture, Awataguchi School

Class dismissed!
    --Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X