Two Japanese Grenade's Opinions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Japanese Grenade's Opinions Please

I was lucky enough to find these today. I don't have any in my collection so I couldn't resist. They both look okay to me but I am by far no expert. When did the Japanese start using ceramic grenades. I have seen collection's where the vet's had picked them up at Iwo Jima or Okinawa. I suspect the fragmentation grenade might have left over explosive in it judging by the crystals all over the inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Here are some pictures of the bottom and is this a T-10 or a T-91? I thought the base would have been threaded but it's not.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think it's a type 91 transitional grenade. opinions please.

Comment

Yes Type 91 Transitional. See the welds around the bottom rim to prevent use in the Type 89 Knee Mortar. I know for a fact that the ceramic grenades were used on Okinawa as I have dug up many inside Japanese cave positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryukyutunnelrat View Post
            Yes Type 91 Transitional. See the welds around the bottom rim to prevent use in the Type 89 Knee Mortar. I know for a fact that the ceramic grenades were used on Okinawa as I have dug up many inside Japanese cave positions.
            Thanks for your help and I bet you had a great time searching for relics on Okinawa. I bet the ceramic finds on Okinawa were in good shape still. I will be posting a knee mortar round next week. Is this type of grenade rare. I very rarely see any pop up.

Comment

I thought I would post some more pictures of the ceramic grenade. It looks like it was definitely in the field but I am not sure when it was brought home as a souvenir. It appears to be in good shape.
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The ceramic grenades are extremely common. Finding one intact with fuse is extremely rare! Lots of minor glaze color variations. There was a photo posted somewhere of a beach with hundreds of these grenades along the surf shoreline

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
                    The ceramic grenades are extremely common. Finding one intact with fuse is extremely rare! Lots of minor glaze color variations. There was a photo posted somewhere of a beach with hundreds of these grenades along the surf shoreline
                    One day I will find the one made of glass but this one was dirt cheap plus I have been searching for grenades for a while so hopefully I will find one of everything over time. And I have tried to find that picture but with no luck. Thanks

Comment

Glass I believe was poison gass grenade & very scarce. I can't recall where I saw that photo! Maybe someone else saved it

Comment

the glass ones contained smoke and cyanide . The smoke ones were the size of the ceramic ones and the ones that contained cyanide was much larger but with the same design. We have found both intact ones digging in caves on Okinawa and are on display in the Battle of Okinawa Museum on Camp Kinser, Okinawa.

Comment

Japanese ord

Here's a pic of two inert Japanese smoke grenades with shipping cans and an empty Molotov. These are hard to get.

Hey Jar, hope you are good!

Jim
                          JapaneseOrdnance at yahoo.com

Comment

Nice Jim! Thanks to you & David correcting me that both smoke & cyanide came in glass grenades!!

Comment

Wow cyanide glass grenade, I wonder how often they were used and how they were used. Did cyanide absorb through the fast or slow and miserable death.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X