Pilot dog tag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot dog tag?

Not sure this is a pilot dog tag, but if anyone can confirm it, that would be appreciated.
    (Just to be straightforward, this is an item I have put up for sale on auction.)

The first two are kanji, which may be unit codes but also can be read as 'Independent Air Unit' (獨 飛). Also stamped in are '10th Company. Number 127.'

Best,
    Rich
    Attached Files

Looks to be for a squadron level independent unit. (as per nick's pinned write up on tags, french flying unit term used here) As to whether it was for pilot or ground crew, etc. that is unknown.

Nice tag!

Tom
    Last edited by GeorgeP; 04-06-2017, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Hi Rich,

It's an oddball tag for sure. Best I can tell it says 獨 Alone 飛 Flying rather than 独 Independent (独 is the usual kanji for abbreviating independent at least). If it is for a pilot it's the 10th Squadron. Maybe "Alone Flying" is a scout squadron or scout pilot in the 10th Squadron? I can't find anything like it in the army lists and don't know enough about tags to say if it shows an individuals occupation. Likely pre-1941 as it's not a tsushogo.

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Rod G View Post
        Hi Rich,

It's an oddball tag for sure. Best I can tell it says 獨 Alone 飛 Flying rather than 独 Independent (独 is the usual kanji for abbreviating independent at least). ...
        Rod,

is the old kanji for .

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
          Rod,

is the old kanji for .

--Guy
          Interesting, thanks Guy!

I can see how that came about, neat simplification. In all the material I've seen abbreviating "independent" dokuritsu 独立 it's only been given as 独 and usually handwritten.

I may be the only one to come away from this with something, sorry Rich.

Rod

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate your time and expertise!

Comment

Originally posted by Rod G View Post
              Likely pre-1941 as it's not a tsushogo.

Rod
              Rod, what is 'tsushogo?' If you know the kanji, that would be helpful.

Best,
              Rich

EDIT: I just found the answer in Nick Komiya's pinned post on tags. No need to reply.
              Last edited by imperialjapan; 04-06-2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
                Rod, what is 'tsushogo?' If you know the kanji, that would be helpful.

Best,
                Rich

EDIT: I just found the answer in Nick Komiya's pinned post on tags. No need to reply.
                Glad you found it Rich. If you reconstruct the Imperial Army's hierarchy it's cool how the kanji code/mojifu become a kind of last known address. Ironically tsushogo says more about the relationships between units than a straight up reading of their proper names.

Rod

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X