Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sword for your review

is this a WW2 era sword? thank you

From what I can see without having it in hand, I would say an older blade in WW2 mounts, which is something very often seen. Usual disclaimers apply! Not too happy about the fit of the hilt to blade but that can be due the angle of the photo or due to degradation of the hilt core.

Comment

For some reason, I've always loved these - the old blade with Fuller groove, in officer fittings. The curvature looks like the Bizen school, but I can't find my link with dating on the various schools. Maybe one of the real pros will chime in.

Nice gunto!

Comment

Nice package all around.

Comment

Please can you measure the blade length from the tip to the notch? (nagasa)

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
            Please can you measure the blade length from the tip to the notch? (nagasa)
            Straight line, along the back of the blade, not the edge.

Comment

Picture not clear on this, but does the scabbard tip have "patent pending" kanji? I think those types of scabbards are so cool.

Tom

Comment

better pics... blade measures 28 inches from tip to notch.

Comment

3 newly drilled holes ?

Comment

Wow, very high quality Fittings! Never seen round holes drilled through the Tsuba like that!

Comment

This is looking like a "bitser" aka a "shotgun job". All old and original pieces for the most part, but assembled out of the spares box. Nothing wrong with them, provided they are sold as such, and no damage done to the main original parts. New drilled holes in the tang count as damage.
                      Does this sword rattle or show movement between the blade and hilt?

Comment

I have a few questions too. The locking device looks like is from a naval dagger? Same sakura shape, seems like it does not fit well. Another thing I am wondering about is the blade being kakumune (flat back edge), but the saya koiguchi is iorimune shaped (roof top shape), while the tsuka have the good shape for the blade ... The habaki looks a bit fresh too, wondering if it has been cleaned or if it is new one?

On the very first picture of the thread it seems there is a gap between tsuka and tsuba.

I see more and more online sellers with gunto parts. In some boutique you can even buy everything it takes to build a gunto from dead stock, even a naval one. Not speaking about the hundreds of koshirae being sold from Japan.

I am effraid paranoïa is bexoming useful in our field of collection. That was why I left german militaria. Sad to say.

Comment

As has been said
                          Put together post war using original parts
                          I don't think the fittings are high quality a Pearced tsuba was just an optional extra and the other parts look standard to me

Comment

Sorry Bruce I see the holes you mention

Comment

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
                              I have a few questions too. The locking device looks like is from a naval dagger? Same sakura shape, seems like it does not fit well. Another thing I am wondering about is the blade being kakumune (flat back edge), but the saya koiguchi is iorimune shaped (roof top shape), while the tsuka have the good shape for the blade ... The habaki looks a bit fresh too, wondering if it has been cleaned or if it is new one?

On the very first picture of the thread it seems there is a gap between tsuka and tsuba.

I see more and more online sellers with gunto parts. In some boutique you can even buy everything it takes to build a gunto from dead stock, even a naval one. Not speaking about the hundreds of koshirae being sold from Japan.

I am effraid paranoïa is bexoming useful in our field of collection. That was why I left german militaria. Sad to say.
                              Nothing from a navy dirk!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X