Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Battle Flag Question

Hello All:

This is my first post, so please bear with me. I have a LARGE battle flag that was given to me years ago by an uncle who got it at the end of the war from a grateful Japanese man (I assume ex-sailor since I think the flag is an Admiral's flag). So, there is no known history on this flag.

I would like to post a photo, but I am not enabled by the site to do that. I can send one to anybody that would like to see what I am trying to describe. I am not interested in selling this, I just want to know what I really have so I can quit guessing. To me it is a family heirloom not to part with.

DESCRIPTION
    The flag measures 13' x 8'5" and has the rising sun with a red line at the top of the flag. I understand it is at the top and not the bottom since I have seen this flag at the USS Yorktown in Charleston, SC. It seems to be made of a canvas-type material and now has faded a little. The red is still very nice but the white is now a little on the yellow side.

It is such a large flag I am not sure how to display it. Currently, I have it folded and covered in a closet. I want to protect it properly and also would like to display it properly, and of course down the road pass it on, along with a rifle and small sword that he came home with. I think it is a shame to have this hidden in a closet.

I would appreciate any insight on this flag.

It's a Vice Admiral flag

The best way to store it is to get a fairly heavy cardboard tube (acid free is best) and a roll of acid free tissue paper. Wrap the tube in paper then gently roll the flag and more paper around the tube at the same time (so the flag isn't touching itself). It's bad to fold flags but if you must, don't fold it using the same creases....over time they can create weak spots.

If you want, send me a pm and I can try to post your pictures for you.

eric

Comment

Eric: Thanks. I can't figure out how to attach photos to private messages either. I guess I am not too swift at this. If I had your email address I know I can attach it that way.

Do you know if these flags are/were common. I have only seen it in one photograph in a WWII book and I have only seen it personally once on the Yorktown, as I said. I wonder if there is a reasonable way to display it other than rolling it up for storage?

Bob
      Originally posted by blinky
      It's a Vice Admiral flag

If you want, send me a pm and I can try to post your pictures for you.

eric

Comment

Bob,

Welcome to the Japanese forum.

If you need help with the photos, you can send them to me (i.e, the other Eric) at doodyel@aol.com and I will post them on the forum for you.

Eric Doody

Comment

Bob's flag.

Two best things in life....a nice dog and Japanese Navy flags!
          Attached Files

Comment

corner detail
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Blinky for your help in getting the photos posted. Any comments on the flag would be appreciated. Does anybody know the significance of the symbols at the corner?

I sent Blinky three shots of my Japanese sword too. I will start a new thread. Maybe someone can tell me about the sword. I know nothing about it.

Bob
              Originally posted by blinky
              corner detail

Comment

Nice Admiral flag!

Nice flag! I collect japanese navy flags and I have an number of Admiral flags of different ranks in my collection. Flags and ordnance are my thing. I also have several Captain's and Commander pennants. I've Been collecting for over twenty years now. It's tough to find these at your typical gun show but at the larger militaria shows like the MAX and the SOS shows, these flags do turn up. Some might disagree but I think admiral rank flags arn't 'rare-rare' but more 'scarce' with one exception, Rear admiral flags truly are rare. These have a red line on both the top and bottom edges. You see fewer rear admirals than Admiral or Vice admiral. I'm looking to purchase a rear Admiral flag 4 X 6 feet or smaller. I have a gigantic rear admiral but it's too large to display. The "Symbols" or designs in the corners are actually reinforcement stitching. Most wind damage occurs at the outter most edge and the top and bottom corners of the flag where the material is sewn to the bunting. That extra stitching will keep the material from tearing. Several of my larger admiral flags have this exact kind of Looping reinforcement stitching. Nice flag in nice shape. I'm not looking to buy a vice admiral but if anybody has a rear admiral available for sale let me know!
                Jim Bogda n
                Jbogdan2(at)webtv(dot)net
                Last edited by JCB; 03-03-2005, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Jim:

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting. I do not attend gun shows but when I lived in Pittsburgh they had an annual military antique show that I thought was very good. I got my panzerfaust there and the German 88mm tank shell there too. Anyway, what kind of value does a flag like this have? I want to display this at home, but it even seems that you agree it is difficult to display.

Bob
                  Originally posted by JCB
                  It's tough to find these at your typical gun show but at the larger militaria shows like the MAX and the SOS shows, these flags do turn up. Some might disagree but I think admiral rank flags arn't 'rare-rare' but more 'scarce' with one exception, Rear admiral flags truly are rare. I have a gigantic rear admiral but it's too large to display. Jim Bogda n
                  Jbogdan2(at)webtv(dot)net

Comment

No problem Bob, happy to do it....I love seeing nice Japanese flags!

eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X